New Pm 727m Mill

Bill, I have checked that, no movement that I can detect. That is why I am thinking the saddle might be warped.

Well, I am now thinking that I may have caused this while mess. I was looking at it some more last night and noticed that with the table all the way to the left, only the back right corner of the saddle is touching. I did mess with the gibs when I first got the machine as I didn't like that there were only 1.5 threads holding the front gib adjustment screw in. I did some filing and sanding on the gib to help it sit deeper so there would be more thread engagement on the adjustment screw. Look as like I may have a go at fabbing a new tapered gib. I am going to play with some shimming this evening to see just how bad I messed things up.

So do you think the gib may not be making full contact?

That's exactly what I think. I'm goin to try bluing it up and inserting it to see if I can tell.

That's exactly what I think. I'm goin to try bluing it up and inserting it to see if I can tell.

I did exactly that with the gib strips on my PM25. Ended up having to scrape and lap all three to get the engagement I wanted.

I'm just worried I already filed off too much material not knowing what I was soing. May have a go at making a whole new gib.

I'd ask Matt if he has one he could send you. They should be pretty well standard.

Tom

I'd ask Matt if he has one he could send you. They should be pretty well standard.

Tom

I already did talk to Matt about it. As you can imagine, he has been extremely responsive and helpful. Don't know how he keeps up with it all?? He is going to get me one, but since it is not a part that is commonly in need, he doesn't have one sitting there. I think in the mean time, I am going to see what I can do to make one out of some 1018. More for the the experience than anything else!

Just be careful of using a tougher material for your gib than the cast iron table. It will probably be ok for a little while, but prolonged use might do more harm than good.

Make your trial from brass, not steel. Or Iron if you can get it.

Back