New Project - Clausing Mill + Bridgeport M-head

.....The little sheet metal slider that goes between knee and saddle has gone missing. If it doesn't turn up tomorrow I'll make one. That will ensure that the old one appears.

Those things are made of a special material, like many things, as soon as you remove them from the original location they evaporate. I have that problem all the time.:grin:

Well, the little slider plate has not yet made an appearance, so I appealed to the Yahoo group for dimensions:
"Plate is 2 x 10-5/16ths x .068 inches. The slot is on C/L, 1.09" wide by 3-3/4" long and offset from the front (hand crank end) edge by 3-1/8". I.e., it is centered on width but not on length of the plate. Also, there's a small notch in the rear corner, to clear a pin on the knee."
(mine had no pin to clear)
I had some nice Stainless Steel sheet, mirror finish, from a hobby shop. I don't know what alloy it is, but it was very easy to cut, no work hardening that I could tell. But it sure was gummy!
IMG_6119.JPG IMG_6120.JPG IMG_6121.JPG

Once it was cleaned up, I realized the center slot was too narrow for my roughly-cast bronze Y-nut. So I re-mounted it and cut the slot wider. IMG_6122.JPG IMG_6123.JPG

Turned out well:
IMG_6124.JPG

Full disclosure: I actually found out the table would stop 3/8" shy of the column, so I tried trimming the hole larger at the back. That resulted in the hole being uncovered, which is a Bad Thing. So I remade the plate, and it turned out a bit nicer than the one pictured.

Starting to look like a mill now:

IMG_6125.JPG

Not real happy with that base, which came from an Enco mill-drill. I'm working on getting an original Clausing cabinet/base from a guy in Illinois. Logistics may kill that deal.

Tomorrow I'll work on the motor and see if I can get it turning.

Beautiful restoration, gonna be a very nice machine when your done.

Nicely done Rex.
I spoke to you about this mill about a month ago.
Will try to get back in touch with you.

John

Well, the machine went to a new home this morning. I had just about talked myself into keeping it a while.

Back