New Shaft For Microscope Support Stand.......

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,

I get spoiled at work because they have quality microscopes at the rework benches for soldering surface-mount components. Our typical resistors are "0402" size, that's 40 thou. by 20 thou. (1.0 mm × 0.5 mm). They are also great for finding and removing the inevitable metal slivers!

I recently stumbled across the exact same model at my local used-tool dealer; so I bought it!
It came with a small stand, but when I mentioned I wanted one with a longer arm he threw in a heavy, long-arm stand.

So the project is to make this microscope:
microscope.jpg

fit this stand:
stand.jpg

That big stand weighs more then the old stand and microscope put together.

I needed enough clearance so that the knobs on the vertical dovetail of the microscope did not hit the knob on the stand. Also, I wanted to maintain a large height adjustment range to accommodate all kinds of items under the 'scope.

I sketched up a few ideas:
sketch1.jpg sketch2.jpg sketch3.jpg
...and decided on the last one.

I decided to make it in two pieces rather than waste a bunch of material turning the 20mm section out of the >45mm diameter bar. I used a press fit to hold the 20mm shaft into the other section. Here's a shot of the part I made along with the raw stock it came from.....
final_and_stock.jpg final_and_stock2.jpg

Unfortunately, I was having sooooo much fun machining that I forgot to take many pictures during the actual work. However here's one shot of the big end still on the lathe. I turned it in the chuck with a tail-stock live centre. This picture was before it was drilled and bored for the press-fit.
on_lathe.jpg

Here it is installed between the heavy base and the microscope::
together.jpg

I had one small interference problem with one of the original SHCS for the rack when the vertical dovetail was cranked way up:
interference.jpg

I just swapped that SHCS to a Philips head screw and got some clearance:
clearence.jpg

Still to do:
-I want to drill and tap the bottom small end so I can use a SHCS and washer so the 'scope cannot fall off the bottom end.
-I need to make some camera mounts and tubes to fit a camera to the third port

-brino

Very cool, brino. I always wanted an inspection microscope.

Thanks Franko!

I am still thinking about the camera for it. Would a small USB camera be easiest to try first, one with software support for still photos and video?
Or, should I jump right to trying to mount a digital-SLR on it.....hhhhhmmmm

-brino

I have a USB microscope that works pretty good, but it desperately needs a stand. I think I'd rig that stand to hold several different instruments. You might use quick release camera mounts.

I really like the optical inspection scope.

It is a pretty good review of the one of the Amscope models at the site

That is a very in-depth review.
The $500 ballpark is not bad either.
Thanks for posting!

On mine I got a LED ring installed, I just ordered an USB camera.
I'll post some examples pictures when I get it set-up.

-brino

Back