New South Bend 8k- Collet & Dro Recommendations

MSD0

Registered
Registered
Hi, new to the forum so hopefully this hasn't been asked before. I'm looking at the new South Bend 8K lathe and wanted to know what kind of collets can be used with this lathe. Not sure if a collet closer can be used as well, but would like to be able to pass material through the bore. I would also like to install a DRO so any recommendations would be great.
Thanks

I've not seen a collet closer for the 8k, and when I was considering collets I just figured that a Bison collet chuck would be the way I'd go. As for the DRO, I considered this as well but given the size of the lathe I couldn't figure out how to conveniently get a glass scale on the cross slide. You could probably go with the smaller magnetic scales that many here use.

I've not seen a collet closer for the 8k, and when I was considering collets I just figured that a Bison collet chuck would be the way I'd go. As for the DRO, I considered this as well but given the size of the lathe I couldn't figure out how to conveniently get a glass scale on the cross slide. You could probably go with the smaller magnetic scales that many here use.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the magnetic scales that dropro sells and apparently they can be cut to length.

Three of my machines have DroPros dros on them, with the mills having glass scales and the 1340 having magnetic. I went magnetic on the lathe because I may someday use coolant on it and the magnetic scales aren't bothered by it. What I didn't know was how much smaller the magnetics are compared to the glass. And yes the magnetic scales can be cut to any length you want. :)

Three of my machines have DroPros dros on them, with the mills having glass scales and the 1340 having magnetic. I went magnetic on the lathe because I may someday use coolant on it and the magnetic scales aren't bothered by it. What I didn't know was how much smaller the magnetics are compared to the glass. And yes the magnetic scales can be cut to any length you want. :)
Sounds like magnetic scales are the way to go on a small lathe. Btw, how do you like the 8K? We are currently using a MicroMark 7 x 16" and hope something like the 8K will be an improvement. I am also considering the PM 11X 27", but would have a hard time fitting something that size in our "shop" (office suite on the 4th floor).

I really like this lathe, and have done good work on it, but that is just my biased opinion. Big step up from the 7 series with respect to quality, rigidity and capacity (I've owned two of the 7" series over the years). I can get better finishes on smaller parts on this lathe than I can on my larger one. If you are needing to work on larger things outside of it's work envelope and/or will do a lot of facing or threading this may not be a good choice. But then the 11x27 won't be either, unless you don't mind changing gears/belts frequently. Now that I have the larger lathe I will be setting my 8k up to be more of a 'second op' type lathe.

I really like this lathe, and have done good work on it, but that is just my biased opinion. Big step up from the 7 series with respect to quality, rigidity and capacity (I've owned two of the 7" series over the years). I can get better finishes on smaller parts on this lathe than I can on my larger one. If you are needing to work on larger things outside of it's work envelope and/or will do a lot of facing or threading this may not be a good choice. But then the 11x27 won't be either, unless you don't mind changing gears/belts frequently. Now that I have the larger lathe I will be setting my 8k up to be more of a 'second op' type lathe.
We just need something that will hold tight tolerances on small parts and prototypes so I think the South Bend will do the job. Thanks for all the help.

Tight tolerances on small parts and prototypes are what I use it for. :)

I would suggest a set-tru type 3 jaw chuck or a 5c collet chuck as upgrades as well. I'm running a 5" 3 jaw BTC set-tru, and am looking at adding a collet chuck soon.

Any recommendations on a collet chuck? I've seen a few from Shars with an integrated D1-3 cam lock and can't tell if it will bolt directly on or if a back plate is needed.

Just me personally, but I'd step up to a Bison if you can afford it. If the Shars chuck says it's d1-3 then it's ready to mount as-is. If it's a plain-back then a mounting plate will be required.

Back