New To Me 15" Sheldon ER-60-P Lathe

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
I bought this 15" Sheldon lathe to add to my collection of lathes I have. It's very similar to my 13" Sheldon Sebastian lathe I have but with a 15" swing instead of a 13" swing. This was a "spur of the moment" buy, I just couldn't pass it up. My problem is I have no place to put it at the moment, my shop is full! Currently being stored at a warehouse in town where I office at a couple days a week. Here's a few pictures to share.. And more to come.

20140724122244990_L.JPG IMG_6716.jpg IMG_6720.jpg

Some gorilla did a number on the hand wheel and handles..:angry:

IMG_6718.jpg

Hard to tell from pictures, but aside from that it doesn't look too bad. They didn't bend the screw when they "removed" the handle, did they?

Hard to tell from pictures, but aside from that it doesn't look too bad. They didn't bend the screw when they "removed" the handle, did they?

The aluminum pot metal handle had not chance against the steel shaft it was mounted to. I haven't put it up in vee blocks to check for runout. If there is any, which I doubt, I'll probably straighten a little. Worst case senerio, I'll make a stub shaft to replace the damaged shaft. The cross feed screw is a separate part that is pinned to this shaft.

The carriage hand wheel is cast iron and did not give, and the shaft it is mounted on is bent. Again, probably straighten as close as i can get it and call it good. That part has a integral gear on the shaft. I have cut gears before, I just don't want to if i can get by not doing so, but will make another gear if i have to.

EDIT: The overall shape of the lathe is in very good shape for a 55 year old lathe! It is a harden and ground bed, which is a plus. May have a couple thousandths wear in the bed ways. Much better shape than my other Sheldon lathe, which has the same exact bed design on it, but a foot longer! That's the only draw back I have, but it has two more inches of swing, which makes up for it!

Looks like there was an ape driving the forklift and the handles hung past the pallet. At least these are cheap to change for cast iron, polished handles. Very nice looking machine.

Paul.

The broken hand wheels are minor items to fix. In fact, replacements are sitting on my workbench right now. I have the old hand wheel off my other Sheldon lathe tail stock that is a exact replacement. The broke off handle from the carriage feed hand wheel, I have a left over handle from days past that will work perfect for a replacement. I'll have to make a new lever for the broken cross feed lever. I have a shaft to straighten also. To me, this is minor.

The major stuff is, is moving my 20" Lodge & Shipley to a new home. Anyone interested? It's for sale.
Next getting the Sheldon home. Last start the process of cleaning, painting, putting her back together! I'm also going to re-scrap and fit all of the carriage as I go back together.

Back