New To Me Dividing Head

I figured it was 40 and it checked out ....It's back together and is pretty smooth....fine old machine....now that it is back together it is going to stay where it is until the bridgeport arrives .......I have a tail stop that requires a riser and need to get a chuck or collet setup or a center . I have no idea what the center hole is, are they usually a taper? I really haven't paid much mind to it yet. The thread diameter is just a tad bigger than my SB so my chucks wont work. I kind of like the center Idea better anyway......

Threads are 2 5/16 4TPI ...oddball, yeah? I have an extra 4C collet holder that with some machining and ingenuity should work....I have 4c's on my SB ....I'm thinking along the lines of machining a threaded cap to hold the holder firmly centered ( the dia. of the holder shaft is smaller than the hole in the Div. Head ) in the D.H. and making a short drawbar to close the collets. That will give me up to a 3/4" holding ability which would be a stout center, although I could make the arbors wider if needed....I have a tailstock that I need to make a riser for...that should be a great start ....I will need a #3 plate(37,39,41,43,47,49. ...1 1/8 center and 3 screw holes... 5" dia.) if the center hole is smaller that can be opened up and the three holes can be relocated if they are wrong........thanks

..I will need a #3 plate(37,39,41,43,47,49. ...1 1/8 center and 3 screw holes... 5" dia.) if the center hole is smaller that can be opened up and the three holes can be relocated if they are wrong........thanks

Hi rafe,

I checked the bin at my local used tool store. They had 7 different plates in the bin, but none matched the one you're after.

They had:
15-29-39-40 5" dia., 1" centre hole and two mounting holes at 180 deg.
16-24-27-37 5" dia., 1" centre hole and two mounting holes at 180 deg.
18-23-33-43 5" dia., 1" centre hole and two mounting holes at 180 deg.

18-24-28-30-34-37 5" dia. centre hole 1.5" and two mounting holes at 180 deg.
18-24-28-30-34-37 5" dia. centre hole 1.5" and three mounting holes at 120 deg.
21-23-27-29-31-33 5" dia., 1.5" centre hole and three mounting holes at 120 deg.
21-23-27-29-31-33 5" dia., 1-1/8" centre hole and three mounting holes at 120 deg.

-brino

Thank you Brino , It will turn up at some point , won't need it for a while I'd think.
I started working on the threaded cap for the 4C collet holder ...basically got as far as the cap blank with a center hole a little bigger than the collet, next I will bore out the diameter of the collet holder leaving about a 1/4 inch of the through hole and leaving it shy of the collet holder thickness about 1/8 inch...the dia. of that hole I believe is critical. It needs to be spot on....the 1/8 inch clearance will allow the cap to tighten the holder to the spindle, then it will be boring the thread dia. and then threading it for the spindle....It might get a little tricky getting it to seat and keep the collet holder tight.I may hve to sneak up on it....anyway I hope that description makes sense, then a short drawbar and it's should fly...here is a photo that may help clear the idea up....Will it work?divhead 014.JPG View attachment 110387 divhead 011.JPG

Have been progressing on the collet holder it's 2 5/16 6 TPI, not 4TPI . I have it threaded but it's a bit tight (Doesn't go) I'll have to re set it up and go a little deeper......It has been slow going but I am happy with the idea and the results.

divhead 017.JPG This is an eye opening video on the Dividing head .. outboard drive I have on mine has more potential then I knew....AlsoI'm going to post a photo of the cap before I remount it in the lathe....later today
Differential Indexing Using a Dividing Head
(on u-tube)

Last edited:
Back