New To Me Mckenzie Lathe

There are flux coated brazing rods readily available, the ones I've used have blue colored flux. BTW is that a Rustoleum green?
Mark S.

its john deere green tractor paint. i figured if the paint could hold up to the abuse of a tractor it should work on the lathe aswell that and its cheap and readily available.

Hi Izzy: what brand of paint are you using? Brush or spray? Is it the new shade or old?
John Deere Classic Green Paint
In the spring of 1989 John Deere changed the color of the AG and Turf Green paint used in the manufacture of new products. The newer shade of green is slightly lighter than the original. At that same time they introduced "Classic Green" which color matches all equipment AG and Turf, that they manufactured prior to 1989.
Mark S.

Thanks Izz; I might have to use a Krylon equivalent cuz I'm in California and we got all these VOC regulations and so forth.
I like the lighter shades too. Good luck with your lathe, it's very cool.
Mark S.
ps You're actually in Ontario right? Your state says Oregon

I need some help again! I started opening up the head stock, got the bearings for the spindle out but now I'm stuck. I'm not sure how the cone pulley comes off and if these gears at the end of the spindle come off aswell. Also I found shims between the bearing caps is that normal or has someone been dabbling around in there before? Should I be measuring for oil clearance when I re-assemble? And finally how do the bearings look?
Sorry I have alot of questions if someone knew of a detailed head stock disassembly write up that would be great! IMG_20170114_122551.jpg IMG_20170114_122351.jpg

Last edited:
Those bearings look good to me Izzy. It looks like that end ring is threaded- do some cleaning and look close, see if you can see threads there. If not it must be pressed.
Mark S
ps shims are ok, could be factory.

I need some help again!......................................Sorry I have alot of questions

Izzy,
Please keep asking and posting!
That's why the site exists and why it's so fantastic.

I have no direct experience to share, but I know others do........and I am enjoying the ride!
In the future when I need to go thru this myself I will have threads like this to learn from.

-brino

Thanks! You where right it was 2 lock rings threaded together the rest just slides off now. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll have this thing looking like new soon enough! :D

Back