New, to me Rong FU RF-31

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Hey all....After a long time searching for a milling machine and just not being able to pull the trigger on one I finally said screw it and made a purchase. I originally wanted a Bridgeport and still do, but I couldn't find one in my price range that didnt look like it came off the titanic. I am also quite hard up for space in my garage so a smaller bench top will suit my needs better for now. I saw this one on craiglist for $875 and it was for sale for a while so I got him down to $750 and he threw in a set of 2 flute and 4 flute end mills, a set of collets, parallels, a clamping set, a hoaky DRO, a vise, and the stout wooden stand on casters. He even threw in some aluminum bar and plate. All in all I am super happy with my purchase and I cant wait to start making some chips.

Attachments

• Mill1.jpg
    Mill1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Mill2.jpg
    Mill2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Mill3.jpg
    Mill3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 130
What is it that you don't like about the DRO?

Craig

What is it that you don't like about the DRO?

Craig
Its battery operated, Ive never seen anything like it before. It has these little LCD displays that take two 2032 button cells. In my very very very novice opinion it seems quite hoakey to me especially compared to others Ive seen. Its made by Shars though.

They are heavier than they look, aren't they?
You aint kidding! I saw the pictures of it and in one of them it has the weight stamped on the cover; 270 kilos.....I couldn't believe it. Until I got there and saw it in person I couldn't comprehend how it weighed 600lbs. That's quite a lot of gravity for a bench top mill. Thankfully the stand the previous owner built was dead nuts even with the tailgate of my truck. Made loading and unloading super easy. Just strapped the stand to the truck so there were no unfortunate mishaps and slid it on and off.

That Shars DRO look similar to the iGauging ones that I have heard good things about.
When you price the Mitutoyo DROs you'll see the advantage of the little guys.....
-brino

Yeah Im sure they work well, I just don't like how they are battery powered. Seemed hoaky to me. But like I said, I am below a novice with all this stuff so take it for what its worth ha.

Yeah Im sure they work well, I just don't like how they are battery powered. Seemed hoaky to me. But like I said, I am below a novice with all this stuff so take it for what its worth ha.
It is pretty easy to rig up a power supply to them. This button cell batteries are expensive for the amount of time they last. I think you will find they are better than nothing and if you decide to get a "real DRO" someone will probably take those off your hands.

Back