New, to me Rong FU RF-31

I agree the batteries are a PITA. I'm fairly disciplined about turning them off when I'm done, but I've boofed that twice now since I've had my iGauging setup and had to replace the whole lot of batteries because of it. I'd do the AC mod, but I think I'll leave that up to whoever the next owner of my mill ends up being. They work solidly aside from the look/feel of being kinda cheap.

Vastly more important than the DRO, what is the condition of the mill? The hand wheels and top cover suggest it is a later model machine, maybe late 1990's or so. Check the spindle concentricity because it matters. You machine looks to be in pretty good condition based on the pics. Some cleanup, adjust the gibs and you should be good provided the spindle and drive sleeve bearings are in good shape. The RF-31 is a beast compared to many smaller benchtop mills - bet you'll like it!

How does this DRO work? I read the info on Shars website and didn't see any mention of how this DRO is attached. For the price I am tempted to buy 3. One for the lathe and two for my mill/drill

I think it’s about as hard to attach cheap DROs as it is to do an expensive name brand DRO. Having said that, I put iGaging DROs on my 10” Logan, and within the limits of their 0.001 resolution, they were accurate to plus/minus a count every time I checked. They are so much better than nothing.

Vastly more important than the DRO, what is the condition of the mill? The hand wheels and top cover suggest it is a later model machine, maybe late 1990's or so. Check the spindle concentricity because it matters. You machine looks to be in pretty good condition based on the pics. Some cleanup, adjust the gibs and you should be good provided the spindle and drive sleeve bearings are in good shape. The RF-31 is a beast compared to many smaller benchtop mills - bet you'll like it!

The mill seems to be in great condition. I think like you said its a later model machine. The hand wheels, top cover, and the color makes it seem so. I believe the older ones were green? I could be wrong on that. Id be interested to find out. I haven't seen anything on it aside from the serial number. The tables in great shape, everything seems tight. The machine was well taken care of. It definitely is a beast, Im glad I ended up with this one as opposed to a smaller machine.

How does this DRO work? I read the info on Shars website and didn't see any mention of how this DRO is attached. For the price I am tempted to buy 3. One for the lathe and two for my mill/drill

You have to buy the scales and there are little wires that attach with mini USB cables to the DRO units.

Back