Newbie here with a new 07403

tonesearcher

Registered
Registered
Hi, I'm new here so just making my way around to get some info.
I just bought a Craftsman 101.07403 lathe. I'd like to do some cleaning and lubing on it before I set it up
in a permanent spot. I have some questions:

1) What is a good way to clean old grease of the head stock gears and re lube (with out removing)?
2) Where can I find detail disassembly instructions for the tail stock, mine does not retract properly
3) The previous owner remove the drive screw as he never could get it to work, is it really needed?
I may want to thread a rifle bbl or two.
That's all for now, I'm sure they'll be many more before I get this up and running, Thanks in advance!

When you say drive screw do you mean lead screw? If so no, it's not really essential- you can use the machine manually
but to cut threads you do need it and the proper gear set for the thread size you want
I like to use Coleman fuel (white gas) and an old toothbrush to clean old grease off
Manuals are available in our downloads section if you are a donating member (10$/year)

I have always used Var-sol AKA Stoddard Solvents for clean-up. including soaking. It is flammable, however. But the non-flammable cleaners generally don't work as well and usually cost more. Another common one is #2 Diesel But it doesn't work as well and some people can't stand the Oder. The Var-sol does not leave any oil on the cleaned surface, so it can be painted when dry. However the cleaned part will rust, how quickly is dependent upon the RH in the shop. If you are going to clean and paint the part, don't put off the painting until tomorrow.

Last edited:
I will note here that anything for sale for dollars (including anything listed as For Sale or For Trade) must be listed in thr For Sale forum at the bottom of the fora and will cost you $25.00 per year. And that any donation amount will get rid of the ads. And that all donations run through PayPal.

Welcome to the forum! I'm almost finished with the restoration of my same lathe 101.07403. I use odorless paint thinner to remove all the grease, grit and grime then use Citrus Paint Striper to remove paint. From the sound of your comments I think you should dismantle head stock and clean everything. Everyone should learn how to clean, inspect or rebuild the headstock as it's the heart of a lathe. I'd also recommend doing the same with the tailstock as your having problems with it and has to be aligned with the headstock spindle or you won't get any accuracy at all. Everything you need to know can pretty much be shown on Youtube. There is also a lot going on in the saddle apron that should be cleaned and inspected. You also will get a lot of help here on the forum. We would sure like to see some pictures!

Attachments

• 20240418_132305 (1).jpg
    20240418_132305 (1).jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240416_092315.jpg
    20240416_092315.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum! I'm almost finished with the restoration of my same lathe 101.07403. I use odorless paint thinner to remove all the grease, grit and grime then use Citrus Paint Striper to remove paint. From the sound of your comments I think you should dismantle head stock and clean everything. Everyone should learn how to clean, inspect or rebuild the headstock as it's the heart of a lathe. I'd also recommend doing the same with the tailstock as your having problems with it and has to be aligned with the headstock spindle or you won't get any accuracy at all. Everything you need to know can pretty much be shown on Youtube. There is also a lot going on in the saddle apron that should be cleaned and inspected. You also will get a lot of help here on the forum. We would sure like to see some pictures!
Thanks for the welcome, I plan on doing a good cleanup but I'm not competent or knowledgeable enough to even mess with gears right now but I'd like to clean them in place as best I can, maybe once I find a manual I'll attempt to take it apart and put it in an ultrasonic tank.
I doubt I'll paint it right now as I want to star learning it and finding parts and tooling for it, as you can see in the pic it's missing the lead screw and I'd like to find a four jaw chuck and a qrtp for now.

Attachments

• IMG_6466002.jpg
    IMG_6466002.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 15
  • lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6464002.jpg
    IMG_6464002.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 14
I used kerosene and a toothbrush to cleanup my change gears on my Atlas10F. It is recommended in the lubrication chart for my machine for the lead screw so I figured it would be safe for the gears too and I haven't had any issues.

From your pics I see a couple of problems. The bolt on the left side of the apron is sticking up so someone has had it apart. You need to drop the apron and check everything out. Please share a pic of the back side of the apron, once dropped, so we can see whats going on! Also the lead screw right support is missing. They are designed to break away should the lathe have a crash. Parts are available from eBay and Clausing Lathes to get comparison prices on expensive parts. My "opinion" is you need to tear the whole lathe down, inspect, clean and lube! You have too many things going on with your lathe. Do one thing at a time and I'd start with apron. Lot's of pics is very helpful for forum members to help and advise you.

I had a link where you can download a pictured schematic and parts list but can't seem to find it. Maybe one of the other forum members can help out with the link. If not Clausing Lathe will send you one.

Last edited:
Until I had everything up and running I wouldn't even be thinking of tooling at the moment. You have a long learning, cleaning, lubing and inspecting of assemblies ahead of you. Did it come with a motor and a set of change gears?

Back