Newly acquired Atlas lathe.

The vise on the 500A milling attachment is either home-made of after-market. However, as nearly as I can tell from the photos, it was made to fit the existing pintle on the 10-501 main upright casting. So no harm done. If you were to locate the original 10-502 part, it should still fit. However, the home-made part appears to be a functional equivalent and aside from weighing more, should work about the same. I have the instruction sheets on the 500A if you don't. Can't recall whether they are in Downloads or not. If not, I can certainly upload them.

On the gear question, I don't know the answer. But it is possible that the cast iron (your description) ones may be the original design and the die case ones the second design. The 9" originally came out with Change Gears with part numbers of the form "9-101-(tooth count)". Early in 10" and 12" production these all became suffix "A". So it is possible that the cast iron ones are the original design and the Zamack ones the first revision.

Robert D.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in the middle of your photo that includes the Steady Rest are some gears that look like they are part of the power cross-feed. Perhaps they are new parts that never got installed?

Robert D.

Hi all.
I got my lathe at home now, actually picked it up a few weekends back and was too excited to start stripping it down than to take any pictures but will do so shortly. When I tested it at the previous owners place the half nut engagement was very loose and non-responsive so I was kind of worried that this was broken, well fortunately that was not the case it turned out that the two screws that hold it in place were loose and also that the lead screw was solidly packed with grease and metal filings that it was pushing the half nut open. I can see now why NEVER EVER use grease on anything concerning a lathe, I had to pick out the old hardened grease with a screwdriver. Unfortunately I suppose my luck couldn’t hold out as the one leg of the carriage hand wheel bracket was broken in the usual place so I’ll have to repair this somehow or make a new replacement. The forward /reverse clutch system was all complete and not broken either which I am grateful for as these would be difficult to rectify. As a matter of interest I can buy most of what I need on EBay but many, many dealers don’t ship to South Africa and the cost of shipping is most of the time triple the cost of the actual part so that’s not really a viable option either. I got a few more accessories that the owner found like another milling attachment which doesn’t seem to belong to the lathe but nice to have anyway, an extra four jaw chuck and some more faceplates, a few more gear wheels and some other items. Last night I hooked up the motor just to see if it runs ok and it hadn’t been greased in decades as it was squeaking something chronic, I took out the two lubrication screws and forced grease into the bearings using a syringe which seemed to cure the problem for now. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be worthwhile to buy two new bearings anyway. Initially I wasn’t going to do a major rebuild but on second thoughts seeing as I have it stripped I won’t get a better opportunity to do this so I have started to sandblast and prime some of the covers at work and do each part bit by bit. The owner couldn’t find the original chuck which is a pity so I’ll have to buy a nonstandard one for my lathe.

Till later.

Re: Atlas lathe in South Africa, the painting begins.

Yesterday and today I managed to get a chance to sandblast, prime and start painting the main colour. We had a bit of industrial automotive paint going to waste at work so I mixed up a batch to a fairly attractive shade of grey/green, the paint is quick drying and hopefully will cure to become a nice hardwearing shell.DSC03129.JPGDSC03132.JPGDSC03133.JPGDSC03134.JPGDSC03135.JPGDSC03138.JPGDSC03141.JPGDSC03142.JPGDSC03137.JPGDSC03131.JPG

DSC03129.JPG DSC03131.JPG DSC03132.JPG DSC03133.JPG DSC03134.JPG DSC03135.JPG DSC03137.JPG DSC03138.JPG DSC03141.JPG DSC03142.JPG

Hi all, here is the restoration so far. I have been grit blasting with a very fine grit which works well and doesn't damage the surfaces.

DSC03182.JPGDSC03184.JPGDSC03189.JPGDSC03194.JPGDSC03196.JPGDSC03190.JPG

DSC03182.JPG DSC03184.JPG DSC03189.JPG DSC03190.JPG DSC03194.JPG DSC03196.JPG

Great job!

Makes me want to re-paint my th54 but I'm too busy using it to be able to pull it all apart.

IMG-20130203-00022.jpg

IMG-20130203-00022.jpg

Thanks guys, actually these Atlas lathes are not that common over here in South Africa. Myfords seem to be the more common older lathe that filtered down to this part of the world. I am looking forward to actually using it as well but still some fun ahead with the restoration.

Update on lathe restoration.

Hi guys, here are the latest pictures of my lathe restoration so far. The various components are being loosely assembled and once it is all finished I'll strip it down and take it home. I haven't bothered to show the actual restoration process but it was grit blasted with a very fine grit, undercoated and painted. I am still waiting for my guy to source me a three jaw chuck and have settled on a 125mm diameter one, I am told that I should put a 160mm one on but I think this is too big for my needs besides the vast extra cost involved. The motor isn't bolted to the bracket yet I have just put the pulley on to determine if it is a good fit because I don't want the motor/pulley assembly bracket to be situated too far back from the lathe. I will still make a dedicated stand for it but that is down the line still. You will see I have mounted the milling attachment with it's non standard vice just for the photo opp.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

DSC03232.JPG DSC03238.JPGDSC03241.JPGDSC03247.JPGDSC03246.JPGDSC03234.JPG

DSC03232.JPG DSC03238.JPG DSC03241.JPG DSC03246.JPG DSC03247.JPG DSC03234.JPG

Looks very nice. Good job! I think a 5" 3-jaw should be OK. Even on my 12" (with 6" Pratt-Bernerd) I almost never have to turn the jaws around. Of course it depends upon what you are doing with it.

Robert D.

Hi Robert thanks, well I'm going to use it mainly for hobby work and do have two four jaws chucks if I need to do heavy duty work.

Steve

Back