No April Machines

Yea, I've pretty much given up on any of the Yahoo groups. This place is much more active with a very colorful and diverse membership. :)

I tried to join that group... after repeated attempts that failed... gave up.

PM machines are well represented at this forum!

Edit: The reason I tried to join that group... was at first I was interested in a PM1127LB.
This interest grew to looking at a PM1236, which grew to ordering a PM1340GT... which is sitting in my basement... with a PM935 to its right, which grew from an interest in a PM932PDF.
Many of us end up totally blowing our budgets... yet I have never read of anyone that regretted it... <grin>

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words. So many things going on, so much work, but I love every minute of it. I wish I had more time to post here, but when I do, then I start reading, because its really interesting to me where the machines go and what people do with them. Next thing you know, hours have gone by.

Ray works well with us too, I see he has not posted much on here recently, but he is GREAT when it comes to sales, help, and everything else.

As I am reading this I am sitting here on the phone on hold with a trucking company trying to get a machine delivered to someone. To me, not so hard, put it on the truck, and deliver it. But they don't have lift gate service in that area, so why in the heck did they even pick up here and have it as an option in the first place.

There was no decision in court about the web site, I think it will go to higher court. The judge had NO clue about web sites, which I did not expect him to, but we will see. The new guys seem to really know their stuff, so hope that works out.

I will have updates on the PM-1236 and 1127VFLB Shortly here, and some other machines too.

One thing you guys will find about me, is that I like the machines as much as any of you do. I just wish I got to do my own projects more often. But I don't have the time, when I am on the phone with a darn trucking company like this for an hour, for something that should be so easy to handle, its hard to get much done.

Nice to hear from you once in a while, even if it is a distraction at times. Kinda adds a personal touch. :)

Yea I just figured that Ray as been really busy. Talked to him a few times while waiting for my PM25 and then with my 1340 and he has always been great to talk to and very helpful. Do miss him here on the board though.

After reading this thread (and everything else that I stumbled across on the internet) for a while, I called Precision Matthews earlier today to see about delivery schedules for the 1127 and the 940. I had thought along the lines of placing the orders; but then to buy some very small junk machines to help me wait out the months of waiting. What I heard seems good to me. No need to buy small junk machines. Since I had not expected to get through, I did not have a complete list of items that I want. I now need to look through the accessories section and complete my 'shopping cart' before calling back for advice. It's true, isn't it, Matt answers the phone himself.

Reading this thread is 'accelerating' my needs and I am spending time reading about the 1340. What do you guys think? Should I just skip the 11xx and the 12xx and go for the 1340GT. What would I gain, learn, from going at it a little step at a time?

After reading this thread (and everything else that I stumbled across on the internet) for a while, I called Precision Matthews earlier today to see about delivery schedules for the 1127 and the 940. I had thought along the lines of placing the orders; but then to buy some very small junk machines to help me wait out the months of waiting. What I heard seems good to me. No need to buy small junk machines. Since I had not expected to get through, I did not have a complete list of items that I want. I now need to look through the accessories section and complete my 'shopping cart' before calling back for advice. It's true, isn't it, Matt answers the phone himself.

Reading this thread is 'accelerating' my needs and I am spending time reading about the 1340. What do you guys think? Should I just skip the 11xx and the 12xx and go for the 1340GT. What would I gain, learn, from going at it a little step at a time?

Yea Matt answers the phone when he can. He answered yesterday when I called to order a few things. Kinda nice actually. :)

If you are going to do work that requires that size of late, e.g. 12 or 13 inch swing you gain nothing from starting smaller, machine wise. Now that doesn't mean you have to learn on large parts at high speeds. You can do small work on the larger lathe to get the feel of the machine and what it is like to perform the various operations. If you think the 1340 is what you eventually want, go ahead and go for it. If you buy a smaller lathe and then eventually get the 1340, some of your tooling for the smaller lathe may not work on the larger machine like chucks, qctp, or mt arbors for the tailstock.

Just my $0.02

Yea Matt answers the phone when he can. He answered yesterday when I called to order a few things. Kinda nice actually. :)

If you are going to do work that requires that size of late, e.g. 12 or 13 inch swing you gain nothing from starting smaller, machine wise. Now that doesn't mean you have to learn on large parts at high speeds. You can do small work on the larger lathe to get the feel of the machine and what it is like to perform the various operations. If you think the 1340 is what you eventually want, go ahead and go for it. If you buy a smaller lathe and then eventually get the 1340, some of your tooling for the smaller lathe may not work on the larger machine like chucks, qctp, or mt arbors for the tailstock.

Just my $0.02

I agree with Bill on this...

In another thread, discussing mills, the idea was presented to determine a cube size of the work one anticipates, and convert that cube size into the X, Y, and Z axis (X being side to side, Y being front to back, and Z being up and down). I am sure, with a little creative thought, one could create a cylinder size for lathe work they anticipate.

Now for the other part: We all seem to grow into larger projects... so IMO if one were to, say, come up with a 1 ft cube or a 10D x 24 cylinder... well I would expand that by a % and if the budget fits, get the larger machine.
(And many of us have 'expanded' our budgets also... however none of us would encourage that behavior... LOL).

I went through literally half a dozen machines on paper, before purchasing a 935 and 1340GT. IMO they 'should' handle what I will do for many years to come.

I think I just had my million dollar idea, a machine tool simulator game for the computer. Bet I could sell them to all the guys waiting for their new toys! LOL
Damn, that is a great idea! I wonder how much of a market there would be for such a game, I'd be in, in a flash!

Back