[How-To] O.D. "O" ring grove

Stephen S

Registered
Registered
I am currently trying to cut "O" ring grove in a 5/8" part. While I have cut many "O" ring groves, the detentions were called out on the blue print.
I did not have to figure out the detentions and tolerances.
Does anyone have the formula for "O" ring grove detentions and tolerancing?
Thanks Steve

3d9486caed4a11fb68220b473ee21eb7.jpg

Here is the page from Hercules Sealing product s book. This should give you info you need. These are usually used in Hydraulic cylinder parts, so depending on what you actually want seal, you might need to adjust some numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great information.
I have a Hydraulic jack that leaks. The manufacture put a rubber plug in a tapered hole and the bleeder screw that lets the pressure off to lower the piston goes through it. I am machining a completely new steam and putting "O" rings in. I made a hoist that is mounted to the end of my lathe. and the jack is a part of the hoist. I use it for my 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Got the idea from Harber Freight that sells one that mounts to the pickup truck bed.
Thanks for the information.
On my way to the shop to start this project.
Again, Thanks for your time and information.
Steve

Great information.
I have a Hydraulic jack that leaks. The manufacture put a rubber plug in a tapered hole and the bleeder screw that lets the pressure off to lower the piston goes through it. I am machining a completely new steam and putting "O" rings in. I made a hoist that is mounted to the end of my lathe. and the jack is a part of the hoist. I use it for my 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Got the idea from Harber Freight that sells one that mounts to the pickup truck bed.
Thanks for the information.
On my way to the shop to start this project.
Again, Thanks for your time and information.
Steve
You should look into quad o-rings.

Back