[How do I?] Od With Boring Head

kf4zht

Registered
Registered
I was working on a drawbar hammer for my PM727. It came it good except one issue. I only have a Unimat for a lathe and no tool holder, so I was trying to do everything on the mill.

The issue came when I wanted to turn the brass hammer head down to match the OD of the hammer head. I proceeded to mount my shiny new import boring head, center the stock and use the machine in reverse to turn the OD of the part. Where I ran into an issue was the boring head unscrewing itself from the shank.

Seems I can't turn CW since the boring bar cutter will be on the wrong side and CCW makes the tool fall off. Is there a way to do this (maybe a backward boring bar?) or is this a bad idea in general (get a lathe)

In the end I made it work but the surface finish was horrible. If I can figure it out I have more brass to make another face with.

Locktite the boring head to the shank? I did that to one of mine for the same reason. It can always be heated and disassembled later if necessary.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I have a boring head, it has 3 holes pointing downwards and 1 horizontal. I welded a cemented carbide tool to a piece of 3/4 round stock, placed it in the horizontal hole and I can then turn OD's on my mill at work. If you want I can take a picture , but not till tomorrow after work as that is where that tool is

Put the boring bar in the head as usual, move it to the OD of the part and run the spindle in reverse.
Done

I would use red Loctite and never look back.

How long is the turning?

You could place a toolbit in your vice and hold the material in a collet and down feed the material into the toolbit.

I think I'll just loctite it for now. If I get another head it will come with another shaft. Didn't know about left hand boring bars, do they sell them with the left hand screwdrivers?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Back