Open Gear Lube

derf

Registered
Registered
Anybody know of a source for open gear lube? At one time I had a spray can of some good sticky lube, but I tossed the can and can't even remember who the manufacturer was. All I remember is that it worked good to quiet down all those outside gear trains.

Fred

I have the same problem, I can't find my can either, but I think it was a CRC product. Check with your local industrial or tractor supply. I'll bet they have something. Maybe even a NAPA auto parts.

back when I had my old craftsman -atlas where you had to change the gear for speeds and feeds. I would us a drop or two of stp oil treatment.

Seems any thick spray would work. Ask for gear and cable lube.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Lot of bearing suppliers like Motion Industries carry an assortment that should include open gear/cable lube. Popular stuff here in the oil patch.

CRC makes some top shelf wire rope/ open gear lube too.

Ok...
What is "Open Gear Lube"?
Quick search found this link: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1862/open-gear-lubricants
Still unclear what "Open" means. Perhaps opposite of closed, like a differential.
Wondering if the gear box on my 10" Powermatic is an "Open" as I open each time I use her and oil manually by drip or brush.

Thanks you,
Daryl
MN

You guessed it Daryl,
it's for gears that are not running inside a box.
the grease is generally thick in consistency and very sticky,
it adheres to anything it gets sprayed on, and it pretty much stays put.
it isn't easily slung off of gears or wire ropes for that matter.

Back