Opinions Please - Royal Products Lathe Chuck Stops?

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Does anyone have experience with these Royal Products chuck stops? With the 25% off Enco sale going on I can get the set of 5 for $277 which is still pretty expensive but I could choke that down.

Machining soft jaws makes no sense as an alternative, not to machine 1 or 2 parts. I'm looking for something quick and easy for my PBA 8" chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they'd be fine as long as your chuck doesn't run out.

Were I apprenticed at we bored soft jaws for our work. It was surprising how many times there was a bored dia. from a previous job that would hold another part of a similar dia. Our jaws were bored almost to the bottom and out to the ends so we always had a lot of different bored dias, almost like a staircase

We also always used the same chuck key hole, the one above the makers badge.

Last edited:
My only question would be "For one or two parts, why do you need the stop anyway?" It's a nice item to have for repetitive work, or work that you have to remove and replace multiple times, but I myself don't see the need for a couple of parts. Or maybe I could just think of better uses for the money.

Dunno...
4" round aluminum is something like $7.00/inch.
Three holes, some band saw work, mill to height...
Tom over at Ox Tools uses some shop made ones in his videos that I think are twice the tool for no other reason than that his have adjustable feet.

You might well get by with using rare earth magnets for spacers, as shown in the photos. They're not all exactly the same height [Royal are good to .001 or better, IIRC], but they're usually sold in large lots and you can measure them to find a set or two that match. And of course, you should be careful running at high speeds!
kHPIM3683.jpg kHPIM3684.jpg kHPIM3692.jpg kHPIM3693.jpg

could someone explain why and how these are used as for the life of me i can't figure out myself what this is for.
Dan

From what I see....

The mags hold it to the chuckface only.
The thickness of the stop allows mat'l to rest on it for depth repeatability while
The 3 jaws clamp on the dia if the mat'l being machined.

Tom Lipton of OxTool videos did on on his version the stop. His was adjustable in height so you could work on different thickness.

I made a similar version for my 5" chuck. Mine fits the jaws fairly closely so I didn't need the magnets.The threaded holes permit the height to be adjusted in the event you are working on a thin piece and need to get close. Mine is 1/4" thick and doing it over, I would make it 3/8" or 1/2" to increase the travel of the adjustment screws. I have a set of standoff screws made for different applications.

Bob
Lathe Spacer.JPG

My only question would be "For one or two parts, why do you need the stop anyway?" It's a nice item to have for repetitive work, or work that you have to remove and replace multiple times, but I myself don't see the need for a couple of parts. Or maybe I could just think of better uses for the money.

Tony money is a non-issue for me its time that's in short supply due to my job. Then there's the damn bad hip which further limits my time at the machines. So I typically will buy vs build to save time. Its 2nd ops when I flip a part around to turn the other end after parting off where these would come in handy. I frequently make 2 to 4 of something I want to be the exact same length which I can hit with my DRO if I can consistently chuck them depth wise. But for 2 to 4 parts its not worth my time machining soft jaws, swapping jaws and doing the setup. If that makes sense.

Back