Ordered a 1340GT Lathe & PM-935TV mill today

I bought a 'non-contact' tach from Amazon, I think it was something like $15 or 20... came with some tape strips.

Plan to build a couple of MachTach's... one each for the lathe and mill.

Jim, my riser/stand is the same size as the base of the milling machine. As I was constructing it, I thought about going wider like you for stability but in my head I thought it may end up being a trip hazard so opted to stay as close as possible to the size of the mill base. However, now after having it setup, I don't think it would matter as the table size limits your movement around the mill anyways so it more than likely won't interfere or be any hazard at all.

These machines do appear narrow but most of the weight definitely is concentrated at the bottom thus making them look more unstable than they actually are. Mine doesn't move at all and I can't even shake it on my 8.5" tall base and is more narrow than yours. I'll bet yours is rock solid.

Mike -- Yes, I believe the machine is perfectly stable given its design and weight but I was overly concerned about stability. My previous mill is a Grizzly G0704 whose stand is narrow in relation to the mill. It was stable for the most part but I could not run a boring head extended, even at a modest speed without the entire mill/stand oscillating. I had to run it very slowly. I didn't anticipate this would be the situation for the 935 but I decided to go with the extra width. Anyway, I also thought about the tripping hazard but I came to same conclusion as you --- the table length would force me outside the trip area. I plan on getting some yellow "caution" tape to apply to the floor and to mask around the stand as an extra precaution.

John -- what is a MachTach? -- I'm working on building a tachometer using a photo reflective sensor for a pickup driving a simple panel digital counter available for $10.00 on ebay. If there's something out there already built maybe I wouldn't have to re-invent it.

Mike -- Yes, I believe the machine is perfectly stable given its design and weight but I was overly concerned about stability. My previous mill is a Grizzly G0704 whose stand is narrow in relation to the mill. It was stable for the most part but I could not run a boring head extended, even at a modest speed without the entire mill/stand oscillating. I had to run it very slowly. I didn't anticipate this would be the situation for the 935 but I decided to go with the extra width. Anyway, I also thought about the tripping hazard but I came to same conclusion as you --- the table length would force me outside the trip area. I plan on getting some yellow "caution" tape to apply to the floor and to mask around the stand as an extra precaution.

John -- what is a MachTach? -- I'm working on building a tachometer using a photo reflective sensor for a pickup driving a simple panel digital counter available for $10.00 on ebay. If there's something out there already built maybe I wouldn't have to re-invent it.

See WR Miller's post...

It is a kit (or you can get it assembled)...

Rather nice unit, a few folks here have built them... and someone just got their kit in the mail a few days ago... may do a build thread.
I think it is the guy with a PM25.

I plan to get 2; one each for the lathe and mill.

BTW: GREAT choice of machines... I think you will enjoy them!

Thanks for the other pic dogbone. Much easier to see all the metal in that view. I'm of the "Overkill always works" opinion & anything for max stability can't hurt for sure.
I too have a $12.98 tach bought off ebay, & it works fine. Stuck a piece of the tape on the bottom of the mill spindle & it's easy to read. Doubt it's dead-nuts-on, but close enough. Was surprised to find how slow I was actually running the old SB 9. No wonder the finishes aren't so pretty!
Really looking forward to the 1340GT arrival so I can work on a modern & precise machine. Getting mine with the 3 phase also, & after getting some advice & schematics from Mike (zmotorsports) about VFD hookup, I'm ready to rock. My 935 is 3 phase too, & though it was a bit challenging at first to actually have to THINK about hooking up the 24V setup, it worked out well. Looking back, it was much simpler than I made it out to be.
Sounds like my lathe will be on the way soon (sure the dock worker slowdowns haven't helped) so guess I'd better grab another Hitachi VFD for it & get to wiring again..............

Thanks all for your comments and advice.
For now I'll go single phase on the lathe and if I'm not satisfied I can swap out for a 3 phase/VFD.

Some of the stands you gentlemen have built look very nice. Since I'm only 5'10" with short legs I think the factory height should work just fine for me.

OK my machines are in Pittsburgh now.
What spindle/gear oil do you use on the lathe? I saw Mobile DTE 68 recommended is this correct?
Also what way oil is recommended? Mobile Vactra # 1, 2, 3?? This will be used on both the lathe and mill ways.

Enco has a 25% off everything sale today only so time to order!:grin:

Headstock oil can vary if you live in extreme temp climates. I use DTE Heavy Medium ISO68. I use Vactra 2 for horizontal ways & Vactra 4 for vertical ways.

Unless your Enco order is in the hundreds, try the 20% + free shipping, it was cheaper for me than the 25% + paying shipping.

Back