OT

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hot darn . Netted $5.96 selling a Machinerys Handbook off the bay . ( less than that considering tape gas and time ) Celebrating tomorrow . Heading out and getting a half glass of cheap beer . :beer: Better off finding a newbie here and giving it away . :)

Not bad (kidding). I recently sold an arbor for 65 bucks on the bay. They took 10 dollars for a selling fee. o_O

I have observed that the only way to make money on EB sales is to have gotten the item for free. what

certainly not you or I, what can one say?
Not sure getting it for free will help, lol
The people I know that are making money on eBay selling machining related items sell at high prices , small items mostly and use usps flat rate.
But even worse is ebays customer satisfaction policies that create loop holes that burn good legitimate sales by unscrupulous buyers who realize ebay will side with them and burn the seller.
I have not had it happen to me but I have on the buyers side when they told me " you will probably get to keep it anyway, because the return shipping is so expensive "
That made me realize sellers aren't important to them and I don't want to be burned that way.
Now, I try to bypass them and just sell
the item on craigslist or a related forum.
I can sell it cheaper to someone who will appreciate it and still come out the same.
I don't sell to make money I sell to try and get back some of what I invested to get what I want.
If I want a lathe and the tooling and have to buy more than I want say two lathes and a wall full of tooling I am actually getting it cheaper in the long run then buying just the lathe and a little tooling.
Buddy up and buy together with a friend and split the cost.

There’s a reason I didn’t list the stuff I had late last year on eBay (hey, anyone need Starrett Micrometer Balls, or a 7x16 Backsplash?)

I have recently sold a few items on eBay. I am also disappointed with the fees.
I used to sell 10-15 small items a week, nos chainsaw parts and such. Small small stuff where it cost me Pennines to ship.

I would profit about $10 per transaction as the parts were bought in wholesale lots.

They changed everything to the point that today I would net about $4 on the same transaction, so Eff them.

I believe eBay charges 10% on a sale. The 10% applies to both the sale amount and shipping cost, so if you are shipping a cheap item it could effectively be a lot more than 10% on the sale price. Then the credit card company gets another 3%. You can increase the shipping cost to include the extra fees, but then people would not want to buy.

It is not worth it to sell inexpensive items. When I figure in the cost for tape and a trip to the post office it makes more sense to just trash the item. I'm not sure this is really eBay's fault. It is just the economics of the situation.

13 1/2 % + final price fee . The 13 1/2% also is applied to whatever shipping costs . So if you sell an item for $5 - $15 , you lose money . Plus , they now charge the buyer sales tax . :grin:

Back