Other US Iron

FirstEliminator

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

I love VN and Cincinnati are great too. Where do we talk about Brown and Sharpe, K&T, Reed Prentice, Hendey, Pratt Whitney, American, Lodge & Shipley and all the other great US machine tool builders?

Mark

The old US heavy iron is all fantastic stuff, but seldom seen in a home shop. That does not mean that we cannot talk about them, however. Maybe we should rename this subforum "US Heavy Iron" instead of VN and Cincy Heavy Iron, then include the other brands.

The old US heavy iron is all fantastic stuff, but seldom seen in a home shop. That does not mean that we cannot talk about them, however. Maybe we should rename this subforum "US Heavy Iron" instead of VN and Cincy Heavy Iron, then include the other brands.

Great Idea!

Thanks for the reply. That might be an idea to switch the name as so many of the heavy weight brands of equipment can be bought over e-bay, craigslist and auctions for at or near scrap price. VN and Cincinnati are both in that league or machines. Although I can see more home shops using a 6 or 12 than a 28 or 36.

One of the tools I'd like for my future home shop is a Bullard VTL. Somewhere between 48 and 60". That would be a cool machine to have at home.

Mark

There is an "Other Brands of Machinery" forum where those heavy machines could be discussed: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Personally, I like the idea of keeping all of the really heavy iron in one area due to the rarity of those machines in home shops. I know Marcel likes the idea, but maybe a few others could chime in here, pro or con. In this way a positive change can be made if there is enough support for it.

I'm pretty sure my pre 1930 Sidney would fit in the Heavy Iron Thread.
******************Just Saying******************Gator****************

sidnry on the move 002.jpg sidnry on the move 003.jpg

I've got a B&S #2 that is sitting patiently waiting for me to put it back in service. When I get home I'll put a pic of it up here to help get the "other heavy iron" ball rolling.

I don't have any machines that would technically be referred to as "Heavy Iron' except may be a Bridgeport mill that weighs in as a little over 2,100 lbs. I do however have a shop full of "Old American Iron" which includes a Seneca Falls lathe, an Ammco shaper, a US Tool Co. horizontal mill, a Sanford surface grinder and a dozen other pieces of "Mid Weight American Iron". I'm a true believer in older US built commercial and industrial tools. I think the newest industrial tool in the shop is from the early 1970's, and the oldest is from about 1916.

Jake, what are all those wires hanging across the bed of your Monarch?

Back