Ouch! Cold! Cold!

acruxksa

Registered
Registered
That feeling when you realize it's -10f outside and you pick up a 2-7/16" x 22" (says 2-3/8" but is actually 2-7/16"????weird size so fair price) piece of round stock that's been sitting in your vehicle in the driveway for 2 days.. At least nobody was there to dare me to put my tongue on it. :D :D :D

Attachments

• PXL_20240202_060628538.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240202_060628538.MP.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 21
My wife in in Anchorage for a couple of days. She went from +50 to -10. Bit of a shock.

If you go to Fairbanks for a day or two and then come back to Anchorage, 10 below will feel nice.:devil:

Was there about 10 days ago. My daughter is a firefighter at North Pole and Chena Goldsteam.
Took her to dinner at the Turtle Club. ;)

My wife in in Anchorage for a couple of days. She went from +50 to -10. Bit of a shock.
Even colder today. -14f here at the moment. It's been many years since we've strung together multiple days in a row of negative temps. Used to happen every year when I was a kid in the 80s. Although in fairness, when I was a kid, we lived down in the coldest part of Anchorage. Typically 4-5 degrees colder than the official temp. I now live higher up and it's typically close to the official temp but with %30-%40 more snow than the official measurement.

I remember hearing back in the 1960s that it was 76 below zero in Edmonton, Alberta, that was before we ever heard about wind chill. Ten below sounds balmy by comparison.

Here in western WA, "really cold" is +20F with a very rare +10F. That's more my speed.

We're seeing -50f in some places in the interior this week. Anchorage is near the ocean (Cook Inlet) so temps are moderated somewhat. On the plus side, it's crystal clear out and the views are amazing.

Denali 140 miles away as seen from my Living Room.

Attachments

• Denali.jpg
    Denali.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 11
In August, my wife and I visited Anchorage and met with my former copilot and his wife. Then we took the train to Talkeetna and a bus to Denali. At Denali, we took the "school bus" tour of the Park, and then a bus back to Talkeetna, staying in the Lodge there.

On the way up in the train, we got beautiful views of Denali. The clouds closed in later. The Park tour had clouds and smoke from fires, so no view. On the way back to Talkeetna, we again got wonderful views. We were very lucky!

That feeling when you realize it's -10f outside and you pick up a 2-7/16" x 22" (says 2-3/8" but is actually 2-7/16"????weird size so fair price) piece of round stock that's been sitting in your vehicle in the driveway for 2 days.. At least nobody was there to dare me to put my tongue on it. :D :D :D
I shot a 3gun match in January a couple years back.

17* for the first evolution, and I staged my AK, mag and loaded shotgun and the timer beeped.

Picked up the aAK in the prone position but fumbled the mag.

Picked the mag up best I could laying down and it instantly froze to my hand. Could not insert it in the orientation I picked it up and called time for injury.

An injury call gets reviewed and everyone involved saw me with the damn thing frozen to my open palm, so I got a do over.

Two shooters got frost injuries that day, good times.

Back