Parting Tool Question

I learned to never use a cutoff blade for cutting off work between centers or in a chuck to a center. At least not to cut all the way through. You will pinch the parting blade, and that is never a good thing...

Thanks for the info sir. After the first tool grabbed and blew up in my face, I gained a healthy respect for the process. I have a band saw that I've been using which works fine but I wanted to get back on the horse and learn. I figured out that using the powered crossfeed was much preferred over hand feeding. That seemed to be a much smoother operation and I can keep my head back out of the way too.

I learned to never use a cutoff blade for cutting off work between centers or in a chuck to a center. At least not to cut all the way through. You will pinch the parting blade, and that is never a good thing...

Bob, is that a wheel pedestal you're standing behind in your picture? I sold my boat a few years ago and my dear wife is pestering me to look for another. I do miss sailing.

Thanks for the info sir. After the first tool grabbed and blew up in my face, I gained a healthy respect for the process. I have a band saw that I've been using which works fine but I wanted to get back on the horse and learn. I figured out that using the powered crossfeed was much preferred over hand feeding. That seemed to be a much smoother operation and I can keep my head back out of the way too.
I have only used power feed a couple times while parting off. It worked fine, but I was nervous and had my hand on the feed lever the whole time. I like to feel the resistance to the cut, and the feedback gives me a good idea what is happening at the tool and work interface. It is also instant to back off and regroup...

Last edited:
Bob, is that a wheel pedestal you're standing behind in your picture? I sold my boat a few years ago and my dear wife is pestering me to look for another. I do miss sailing.
Yes, a very nice sailing yacht, not mine though. One of my old soaring buddies and his wife belong to a sailing club out of Port Richmond in San Francisco bay and he is an instructor there. Sometimes I tag along as crew on whatever boat he has that day. It is a fun and relaxing way to spend a day, and there is lots of time to talk and enjoy the ride. The sailing is usually excellent on SF bay. In all honesty I chose the picture because it is about the only recent photo I could find of me, don't much care for the H-M two letter default avatars...

Edit: Golden Gate Bridge above us in the photo...

Gentlemen, thanks again for the parting school. The shim did the trick. Problem solved. You guys have a good night, or morning in your case Jeff.

Glad you got it sorted. For those wedge top holder (that are held in sort of a dove tail holder). You may need to grind about a half inch of the top surface so it is flat, then keen that front face real sharp.

I power feed my part off jobs all the time. One does have to feed at a decent rate - not too fast, not too slow.

If I had a mill I would cut a relief in my tool holder and get a T shaped tool but alas... No mill.
I'm planning on a trip to the Springfield, MO Grizzly tent sale in June to hopefully find a deal on one.

I power feed my part off jobs all the time. One does have to feed at a decent rate - not too fast, not too slow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chipper, I'm using the slowest speed with power feed and it does better than trying to do it by hand. I guess you go with what works for you.

Back