Picked Up A Ghb 1340 Today

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked it up today for $750. Had to drive over a hundred miles to get it. My second machine I bought this week.

Motor is missing, someone had put a different 3 phase motor on it. No chuck or tooling. But has a steady and follow rest.

I pulled the gear box cover off it and everything looks really good inside, spins and shifts easily. The ways are perfect, zero wear anywhere, and no evidence of a crash on the compound. The cross slide was very tight, couldn't even move it. So I drove the gib out and now it moves easily. Was dry as a bone. I'll pull the slide off and clean and lubricate it.

00M0M_iH7bkUgm3td_600x450.jpg 20150927_182850.jpg 20150927_183256.jpg 20150927_183359.jpg 20150927_182556.jpg 20150927_144430.jpg

Last edited:
Great deal, you can't go wrong. That 13 x 40 lathe is my idea of the ideal size. Is this going to be another CNC project? Bob

Now don't you go putting ideas in my head now about another CNC project :) I don't plan on doing that.

This is exactly the lathe I was looking for. Jim Dawson has one and I've used it. This will do everything I need it to do.

I need to get a motor on it, get a chuck, mount up my collet closer., looking at a DRO from TPAC tools. I have one of them on my Bridgeport and I really like it.

Harbor Freight has a 2hp motor 1750rpm for $160.And with their coupon it's $128.
I may just go that way with it.

For now I'm going to put money into the lathe before I start working on my mill I just bought. I need the lathe more than another mill right now.

Wow! That looks like a great machine.
It's amazing to find one in your local weather zone that is dry and yet not covered in rust.
Congratulations!

-brino

Man you're on fire this week!

Thanks. I truly hope it turns out to be great.

Not sure if I'm on fire, but I do have a lot of irons in the fire for sure :)

Pulled the cross slide off tonight. I literally had to drive the gib out. The slide wasn't movable at all.
I cleaned everything and tried to put the gib back in and same thing. Just can't get it in unless I hammer it in place.

I turned the slide upside down and when the gib is in place it sits about .040 abut the bottom of the slide. You can see it in the pic.

To my understanding its the side of the gib that adjust the play side to side on the dovetails , not the gib trying to lift the slide upwards. I'm not sure i I'm explaining this right, but the gib is just too tall.

20150928_195516.jpg

That's strange, could it be in there backwards?

Agreed, It loos like its not in the right position, like it needs to be rotated or flipped over.

I've tried it every way possible and it can only go one way. The cutouts for the adjustment screws only allow it to go in a certain way.

Here is another pic, you can see what I mean. If you look closely you can see that the height also tapers.

20150929_052316.jpg

Back