Plasma cutting - How thin can they cut?

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm trying to find concise, clear information on how thin a plasma cutter can cut. Specifically, mild steel, 20-24 ga. Anybody do this reliably?

More specifically, has anyone done this on a CNC plasma cutter? Is it possible?

I'm looking for clean, straight cuts, a quick removal of any minimal slag and then the parts go straight into a forming operation. Does this sound reasonable?

My cut 50 goes through that gauge like butta. There's the usual slag that a plasma cutter makes and how straight it is depends on what you use for a straight edge and your "technique". Gotta keep moving though or it can cut a little hole if you stall out when cutting.

I cut up to 1/4 mild steel with it fairly regularly. I make a template out of 1/4" pressboard and use that to trace out my cuts. On 1/4" it's pretty good, but lots of slag to knock off after the cut. Knocks off easy, but it is one more step when making shapes. Cut endes are a little rough on 1/4" and need to be dressed afterwards, but that's likely my technique (free hand cutting) as much as anything else.

No experience with CNC plasma.....

Last edited:
We use a local outfit that has ”micro” laser and water jet for our thin stock.
Pierre

One time I did cut some 20 gauges aluminum with the plasma cutter. This was done by hand with a straight edge guide. I was not very happy with the edge but it did clean up with a file rather easily (it was aluminum after all). I would probably use a shear next time though. My thought is that you probably could tune in a CNC Plasma cutter to minimize after cut work but that is just a guess and full disclosure is that I have about a total of one hour of torch time, mostly on steel, so no real experience. Good luck

My experience is quite limited but thin sheet metal has been difficult for me to get clean lines/detail. Calling @Tmate. I believe he is our resident expert.

I have a devil of a time with thin material on my CNC plasma because it warps on me. I don't have a water table so that's likely the reason.
My experience is that even on thin material there will be a tiny bit of dross in places.

All helpful replies...thanks guys. If anyone thinks of any other advice or thoughts it is much appreciated.

I'm really on the fence between shear or CNC plasma.

If it’s all straight cuts I’d shear them.
Or depending on circumstances and availability look for a laser or waterjet facility.

I agree that for straight cuts a shear is the better choice. For shapes and the like, plasma, laser or water would be fine.

Back