Plasma cutting - How thin can they cut?

Just curious if you have priced out the job to a place that does laser or WJ? My brother builds race cars. He has a CNC plasma that now sits idle. After factoring in the finishing work from the plasma cut parts he decided to send all the work out for laser. It comes back nearly perfect. You may reach a different conclusion.

Just curious if you have priced out the job to a place that does laser or WJ? My brother builds race cars. He has a CNC plasma that now sits idle. After factoring in the finishing work from the plasma cut parts he decided to send all the work out for laser. It comes back nearly perfect. You may reach a different conclusion.

It was more than I was comfortable spending. By a factor of two or three if I recall correctly.

I would love to be able to have my own laser. That would great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rwm
I have a devil of a time with thin material on my CNC plasma because it warps on me. I don't have a water table so that's likely the reason.
My experience is that even on thin material there will be a tiny bit of dross in places.
Cut speed is too low, and you need a high definition tip like a Hypertherm Finecut at 188 i.p.m
too slow means heating the work and dross on the backside. There will always be a little cleanup but a cup wheel and a quick swipe should clean it off

Back