Please give me back the 1/2 button...

VicHobbyGuy

Registered
Registered
I was away on holiday, and when I returned Touch DRO had updated itself.
I'm just learning to use the DRO and I was quite happy to have the "1/2" button for finding the center of parts.
Now it seems to have disappeared, replaced by the 'Probe' icon/button...which is much too complex for the sort of work I do as a beginner.
Is there any way to get that 1/2 button back?
Also, I'd prefer to have the default set to 'no upgrades without permission' - is that possible?
Thanks.

I was away on holiday, and when I returned Touch DRO had updated itself.
I'm just learning to use the DRO and I was quite happy to have the "1/2" button for finding the center of parts.
Now it seems to have disappeared, replaced by the 'Probe' icon/button...which is much too complex for the sort of work I do as a beginner.
Is there any way to get that 1/2 button back?
Also, I'd prefer to have the default set to 'no upgrades without permission' - is that possible?
Thanks.
The "1/2" button is now called "Center" and it still there.
I'd be curious to understand why "Indicate Workpiece" function is too complex, though. The idea was to simplify things like finding a centerline, etc.
Google Play Store comes with Auto Update apps turned on by default. You can turn that off (this is not per-app setting; you either have it on or off for the tablet).
Regards
Yuriy

The "1/2" button is now called "Center" and it still there.
I'd be curious to understand why "Indicate Workpiece" function is too complex, though. The idea was to simplify things like finding a centerline, etc.
Thanks for the quick reply; I appreciate it.
Complexity: for me, it's simple- I just count the number of 'key presses' (taps on the screen) to compete a task. When that number goes up, it's not a good thing. I've been using a computer since the early 80s, so I'm a long-time victim of 'software improvements'. I should be used to it by now. :)

BTW, '1/2' was very descriptive, for me - did a lot of users find it confusing?

What would be very useful -for me- would be the ability to decide which 'buttons' to display on the main screen, so the things I don't use aren't displayed, but my 'favourites' are.

Thanks for the quick reply; I appreciate it.
Complexity: for me, it's simple- I just count the number of 'key presses' (taps on the screen) to compete a task. When that number goes up, it's not a good thing. I've been using a computer since the early 80s, so I'm a long-time victim of 'software improvements'. I should be used to it by now. :)

BTW, '1/2' was very descriptive, for me - did a lot of users find it confusing?

What would be very useful -for me- would be the ability to decide which 'buttons' to display on the main screen, so the things I don't use aren't displayed, but my 'favourites' are.
So, to find a centerline of the part:

Method 1: Open axis details (click), Touch off the side, zero out the axis (click #2), move to the other side, touch off, click "1/2" (Click #3), Close the dialog (Click #4)

Method 2: Open edge finder dialog (click #1), touch off one side, press the edge button (Click #2), touch off the other side (Click #3), click "Set Origin" (Click #4).

So, 4 clicks both ways. On the flip side, this particular improvement that I inflicted upon you can also do all of the stuff shown in the video linked from this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/updated-edge-finder-function-new-touchdro-video-and-new-build.106224/. The short version: you can locate part edges in 3 clicks, a corner in 4 clicks, center of a hole with 5 clicks, etc.

As far as "1/2" vs. "Center" - direct quote: "I was quite happy to have the "1/2" button for finding the center of parts.", so the button that let's you find "the center of parts" is called "Center". Not sure it's any more confusing.

Finally, one of the things you got with the upgrade is much improved user interface customization. You can, for example, set which three buttons show up next to each axis when the right panel is expanded and collapsed (and they can be different per axis) and hide unused buttons in the function strip. This video explains how this is done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure DOS 5.0 running on 286 machine with 640KB of RAM and using 9600 BAUD modem to download messages from my favorite BBS was great. May be I'm a masochist, but I much prefer to be typing this message on my MacBook pro ;)

Regards
Yuriy

So, to find a centerline of the part:

Method 1: Open axis details (click), Touch off the side, zero out the axis (click #2), move to the other side, touch off, click "1/2" (Click #3), Close the dialog (Click #4)

Method 2: Open edge finder dialog (click #1), touch off one side, press the edge button (Click #2), touch off the other side (Click #3), click "Set Origin" (Click #4).

So, 4 clicks both ways. On the flip side, this particular improvement that I inflicted upon you can also do all of the stuff shown in the video linked from this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/updated-edge-finder-function-new-touchdro-video-and-new-build.106224/. The short version: you can locate part edges in 3 clicks, a corner in 4 clicks, center of a hole with 5 clicks, etc.

As far as "1/2" vs. "Center" - direct quote: "I was quite happy to have the "1/2" button for finding the center of parts.", so the button that let's you find "the center of parts" is called "Center". Not sure it's any more confusing.

Finally, one of the things you got with the upgrade is much improved user interface customization. You can, for example, set which three buttons show up next to each axis when the right panel is expanded and collapsed (and they can be different per axis) and hide unused buttons in the function strip. This video explains how this is done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure DOS 5.0 running on 286 machine with 640KB of RAM and using 9600 BAUD modem to download messages from my favorite BBS was great. May be I'm a masochist, but I much prefer to be typing this message on my MacBook pro ;)

Regards
Yuriy
I find that “Center” is more descriptive than “1/2,” but then no one ever said I was normal.

I have to agree with your thoughts on DOS (and other, more esoteric operating systems like Fortran and APL [aka A Programming Language]): from the start 39 years ago I found Mac’s and the Apple Toolbox more intuitive.

I agree, "Center" is more descriptive. I've been thinking of trying a TouchDRO for one of my machines, but the downside of Center vs 1/2 is "1/2" is what is used on my other two (not TouchDRO) DROs. Just another thing to confuse an already addlepated brain.

I agree, "Center" is more descriptive. I've been thinking of trying a TouchDRO for one of my machines, but the downside of Center vs 1/2 is "1/2" is what is used on my other two (not TouchDRO) DROs. Just another thing to confuse an already addlepated brain.
So, this is what TouchDRO vs. a traditional DRO look like:

20230519_113148.jpg

And you think that "1/2" vs. "Center" will be THE thing that will be confusing? ;)

On a serious note, when people mix TouchDRO with a traditional DRO in the shop, one of two things happen:
1. They upgrade everything to TouchDRO shortly after (last year 36% of my order came from repeat customers)
2. They decide that TouchDRO is way too complicated and get another "old school" DRO. I don't have statistics for this, so I can't say how often this happens.

TouchDRO V3 has been available on the Play Store since January, and about 70% have upgraded to it. So far I got 3 or 4 complaints about the upgrade. The consensus seems to be that new features are more good than confusing.

Regards
Yuriy

I may be putting Touch DRO on my lathe, just so I can ditch the existing one. You'd think they could hire *one* native English speaker to help with the interface. Nope.

What does ALE mean? Absolute mode. No, really. It's that bad, and only a single example of how messed up the cheap DROs are.

Last edited:
And you think that "1/2" vs. "Center" will be THE thing that will be confusing? ;)
Actually a neat picture to see hi-tech vs. conventional side by side.

So, this is what TouchDRO vs. a traditional DRO look like:

View attachment 448263

On a serious note, when people mix TouchDRO with a traditional DRO in the shop, one of two things happen:
1. They upgrade everything to TouchDRO shortly after (last year 36% of my order came from repeat customers)
2. They decide that TouchDRO is way too complicated and get another "old school" DRO. I don't have statistics for this, so I can't say how often this happens.

TouchDRO V3 has been available on the Play Store since January, and about 70% have upgraded to it. So far I got 3 or 4 complaints about the upgrade. The consensus seems to be that new features are more good than confusing.

Regards
Yuriy
Hey Yuriy,

can’t please everyone. :) It’s likely tomato tomato… (I think that works better audibly ). It’s the same function just renamed. The new name is more descriptive, and will take very little work to adapt to. I think the coolest thing, is the ability to modify the screen to suit my needs. Much harder to move a button on the traditional dro <G>. I’m curious how much I will find myself using it to get me other info, like conversions on the fly using voice commands, or lookin stuff up in the forums or the tube.

All in all, you are my hero. I am so thankful for you work, and think it’s great. We may have differences in opinion (chocholate or vanilla, Stout or Pilsner). But as far as I’m concerned, every one of us owes you at least one beer. In that case, you’re set for life. :)

T

Back