PM-1022V and other Chinese Lathe Bed Mounting Rigidity

Shortly after making this post I've actually decided I might as well go 1130V or 1228VF-LB.
Every inch of extra length between centers is a good investment, I personally would consider the 1130 over the 1228 for that reason.

Every inch of extra length between centers is a good investment, I personally would consider the 1130 over the 1228 for that reason.
Im thinking 1130 primarily for extra swing, wider bed, more mass (even more so than the 1228). Reading the forums, a popular argument to continue on up to the 1228 is the QCGB feature. In the same discussions I learned about electronic lead screws...

It will be atleast another month before I place an order so plenty of time to keep researching, I just wish there was more discussion on the 1130/1228 (or alternatives superior to grizzly) than I'm finding.

Last edited:
1130 and 1228 are on my short list, one thing that surprised me with the 1128 is there isn't a way to reverse the feed direction without adjusting the gearbox.

Im thinking 1130 primarily for extra swing, wider bed, more mass (even more so than the 1228). Reading the forums, a popular argument to continue on up to the 1228 is the QCGB feature. In the same discussions I learned about electronic lead screws...

It will be atleast another month before I place an order so plenty of time to keep researching, I just wish there was more discussion on the 1130/1228 (or alternatives superior to grizzly) than I'm finding.
I have a PM1236 which I like and it weighs in at around 1100Lbs. When I bought it I chose all the options except the cast stand, I stuck with the pressed steel which is okay but I am now thinking about upgrading. Mass is king, the more mass the more rigid. I looked at the lathes you are looking at and seriously thought about the PM1030 and the PM1130But when it came time to buy I stepped up one to the smallest of the larger lathes with a 2HP AC motor which I will eventually upgrade to a Baldor (Was my plan all along).

Grizzly and PM both have good customer service and very comparable machines but the things that sets PM apart are the fact that they are writing manuals (in some cases I wish a bit faster) which are a bit more helpful and they do little things like spec'ing there machines with imperial lead screws which is helpful.

Something else I would suggest (is what I did), PM sells some tools and I bought a set of the threading tools, the turning tools and the small boring set. I bought these because they were reasonably priced and it gave me a set of tools to use and add to starting off. I found the tools I purchased to work well and when I changed inserts I liked them even better. I have since added a number of tools many hand ground HSS.

I hope there is a little helpful information there for you.

1130 and 1228 are on my short list, one thing that surprised me with the 1128 is there isn't a way to reverse the feed direction without adjusting the gearbox.
Assuming your are referring to the carriage and cross slide feed, My PM1236 has to be stopped and reversed through the gear box, I always considered it part of my setup and never thought about it. If you are talking about the rotation of the spindle I can reverse that without touching the gear box, how does that work on the PM1130?

From what I've seen/read on the 1128 there's no lever to reverse the feed direction, you have to open up the gear train loosen some bolts to reverse the direction. On the 1130 it's just a lever on the front. Just seemed odd to me given the 1128 is the only benchtop lathe they have that features a QCGB.

Back