Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Still trying to get my terminology right :) So it's one of those two t-nuts. There is a hole on the underside of the block to remove/insert the t-nuts. During usage, when you rotate the compound, once a t-nut ends up in that hole, it doesn't slide back in the t-slot it's supposed to sit in.

cheers,
Cosmin

Make a little longer t-nut, one that has to be tipped to insert it. That way it won't turn in the hole and you can tighten it even in the insertion position. That's what I did with mine when I had the same problem.

Did you remove the base plate to mill off some material so the AXA would work with 1/2" tools? If you took it off to mill it or clean it, it is possible you put it back on front to back. There is a mark on the front to index the protractor on the compound slide.

I have the mark in front and lined with 0 degrees. It doesn't bother me for now, but will possibly try JimDawson's idea later on. First thing would be to take care of the qctp. Looks like I will have to make one of those rods that mount to the compound. I don't want to drill and tap the compound to match the Shars qctp rod, I'm afraid I will mess it up. But if I mess up making the rod, I just make another.

The other thing I need to handle is how chips get everywhere.I need to get a couple of thin aluminum plates and cover stuff. I may just be paranoid.

cheers,
Cosmin

Cosmin, have you tried contacting Shars to see if they have a different threaded rod that fits your lathe for your AXA?

I've thought of making a thin aluminum plate to cover the ways left of the cross slide held in place with magnets.

I put a full size baking sheet on my chip pan. It really speeds up cleaning chips and oil drips.

Alright, so here are the measurements for the toolpost rod:

lathe stock: 9/16 - 18
shars axa: M14 x 1.5

Within tolerances that these rods are made at, the two threads match quite well for about 3 revolutions, but then stuff binds and goes out of plumb. As a fix, I ordered some 9/16-18 B7 threaded rod and a nut. The nut proved to be the difficult one to find at a reasonable price.

cheers,
Cosmin

Did you loosen the set screw on the back of the tool post?

I loosened the set screw that was anchoring the tool post rod to the cross slide. There is no other way to remove that rod, I tried :)

cheers,
Cosmin

Yeah, it took me a while to notice it when I was trying to remove mine. When I screwed the new QCTP rod in, I had tightened it back in so as not to lose it.

The bolt on mine is a M14 - 1.5.

"Alright, so here are the measurements for the toolpost rod:

lathe stock: 9/16 - 18
shars axa: M14 x 1.5"

I picked up an Aloris AXA post from ENCO, and am now working on a new screw post to attach it since these machines don't use T-nuts. My measurement of the factory thread into the compound was closer to 14.3mm x 1.4mm/thread. Since the thread engagement is about an inch, I figured trying to do the 'standard' M14 pitch of 1.5mm would probably bite me, so I think the "B5" gear selection (presently lacking an entry in the table, for some reason) should be double the listed .7mm for the desired 1.4mm, provided proper gear scheme is used.

Which is where I'm confused; is it just me, or does the metric thread chart make no sense? It's like they meant it to be for four different "G" change gear selections, but there are two "30" and "35" tables, with different ratios despite a gear setup that looks identical according to the diagram. What am I missing? I also don't understand why they didn't bother to show all possible ratios; even if they're non-standard, knowing the values is still helpful for cases exactly like this where dummies use proprietary pitches (or in gunsmithing, where you need to match a measurement system like Schritt that no longer exists)

TCB

I can't answer the metric chart question. I think the charts are being addressed, as well as the accompanying instructions. Matt has been very busy so he hasn't had time to deal with it yet.

Did you try to screw in the AXA threaded m14-1.5 post? I had no issue with mine.

Back