PM25-MV - From the Beginning

brav65

Active User
Registered
Well I have posted some updates in other threads, but I thought I would start my own thread as I am close to getting my PM-25 MV. Having been a woodworker for many years I am familiar with Grizzly equipment, so when I decided to get a small mill I naturally looked and their offerings. Having spent a great deal of time lurking on this and some others forums I decided to get a G0759. This is a G0704 with a factory installed DRO. I was very excited until I received word from Grizzly that the mill was on backorder until late December. I had looked at the PM-25MV but decided that it was a little bit out of my budget, even though it came standard with some upgrades that I had planned to make to the Grizzly. I called Matt and he said they had them in stock and sent me a quote with shipping and a DRO PROS 3M DRO. After researching the cost to convert to a brushless motor and belt drive I decided that it was a wash cost wise between the two units, and Matt offers a 3 year warranty. That being said I cancelled my Grizzly order and ordered a machine from Matt.

I will update the thread with additional info on my journey into the world of metalworking, stay tuned!

Well my DRO arrived from DRO PROS today. Here are the pictures of what I received. I plan on reading the installation and operations manuals before my mill arrives on Thursday. I am going to have a very busy weekend! I purchased the DRO PROS 3M 3 axis DRO which can be found here . Matt offers the Easson 8A as well with a 3 year warranty, but the product support is not as robust as the 3M for $100 more.

20141007_134334.jpg20141007_134756.jpg20141007_135644.jpg

20141007_135644.jpg 20141007_134334.jpg 20141007_134756.jpg

Gee, your DRO looks just like mine!

I think you will really like the 3M. No complaints about mine at all.

Hey Brooks - feels pretty good being this close after waiting so long for Grizzly, eh?
My DroPros 3m arrived yesterday. Took the display out of the box and something is obviously loose and rolling around inside the display. Just fired off and e-mail to the folks at DroPros to get advise.

One other thing - does anyone have experience with UPS Freight? I[m wondering if they call to schedule or do they just roll up on delivery day? Super busy at work right now and would like to be able to schedule delivery, if possible. Will call UPS tomorrow to see what they say, if a real number even exists for UPS these days - LoL

Hi John bummer about your display. Everything looked good on mine. I unpacked everything and inspected it. Cables and connectors seem to be very robust. I picked up some white nylon clips to secure the cables with. I am not sure if I should have gotten steel ones instead. I have read the installation and operation manuals. Now I just need a mill!

I am not familiar with UPS freight, but figure they will call because it is a residential delivery.

I picked up some white nylon clips to secure the cables with. I am not sure if I should have gotten steel ones instead. I have read the installation and operation manuals. Now I just need a mill!

I am not familiar with UPS freight, but figure they will call because it is a residential delivery.

Think of it this way ... you might have to replace the nylon clips once in a long while, but unlike steel, they'll probably give way and save your cables and connectors if something gets caught. :))

Best wishes for a timely and stress-free delivery!

Nice work, you know that if you had sent it back that the piece would have fallen out and there would be no rattle or sign of the debris!

Tracking is still showing delivery tomorrow! I have some final bits and pieces from Enco and Grizzly arriving tomorrow as well. I bought a gallon of WD40, some cheap brushes and some rags today. I also picked up a 1 ton chain fall from HF for $30 bucks. I have a beam running across my ceiling to carry the rafters for my front hip. It will handle the 350# no problem. I will have a late nite tomorrow night!

Back