2017 POTD Thread Archive

Rich
Are you using anything in the water? It looks like all is working well, I'll be watching.
Nelson

Yup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda 1 cup / 10 gallons so 4 cups for about 40 gallons of water. I bought the washing soda at my local grocery store. It's in a yellow box near the laundry detergent. It was a bit less than $4 box. The actual amount of washing soda isn't really critical.

There are lots of instructions on the web this one is as good as any: http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Rich
Thank you, rust is always a problem with high humidity. Need a dehumidifier.
Nelson

Here's the bronze nut I threaded using the tool bit I ground up the other day. I forgot to take a picture of it mounted in my 9" South Bend lathe.

DSCN3840.JPGDSCN3842.JPG

Behind it is the cross feed screw it will go on after I do the mill work to the nut.

Here's the pictures of the cross feed screw.

DSCN3838.JPG

This is going on my 14" Rockwell lathe rebuild. Some where on the forum, I'll post some pictures of how I set up the lathe to machine a cross feed screw. Ken

EDIT: Here's a link to my thread on cutting a cross feed screw.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/making-a-cross-feed-screw-for-a-lathe-or-mill.64390/

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a pin for the tilt pivot for my B&S no 2 vise. It swivels and tilts and the vise pivots again, I could use some pics, still missing some parts. I know the finish isn't that good, it twisted in the chuck while I was threading it with a die. The head on the pin is just a touch under 1-3/8", the pin is 1", and its threaded 3/4-10. Thanks Greg for the dimensions you sent me, but mine is made a little different.
IMG_0066.JPGIMG_0067.JPGIMG_0068.JPG

Last edited:
I thought about grinding it with my tool post grinder but it won't fit on the Hardinge I turned it on, not much room when your working between centres, tried turning it on the Summit but was getting about 3/4 thou taper, hard to adjust that on a 17 inch swing lathe.
Around here, no idea where you'd send it.

Thanks

Densmore Tool and Die in St Catharines Ontario, there is a place in Vaughn near Toronto but I do not know their name. Unfortunately we do not do outside work otherwise we could of done this.
Pierre

I've needed a couple of chuck wrenches for 12mm square. Off hand, I couldn't find one without ordering it special from H & R in Willis, TX. So I made one from scratch and modified one I had on hand that was a little abuse that came with the Rockwell lathe that didn't go to anything.
Here's a couple of pictures to share.
DSCN3843.JPG
The one on top was modified and the lower one I made from scratch.

No, they are not OSHA approved!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some small Chinese tap wrenches that came with tap sets I have brought - the taps seem OK quality (well good enough for the work I do anyway) but the tap handles that come with them are always the cheapest rubbish possible. You know the type, diecast who-knows-what material with crappy little handles. I have had the bodies actually snap in half on me, and this one in question the threads stripped on the handles:
IMG_5017.JPG

So to this weekends projects - I salvaged the jaws which seemed reasonably hard and decided to make a new body/handles.
The body and right hand handle is now one piece with the fixed jaw held in place by a grub screw through the side. The moving jaw already had an internal left hand thread (M6) so I kept the same operating mechanism as the original (M8 right hand thread between the body and the handle, and M6 left hand thread between the handle and the jaw).
IMG_5018.JPG

Last edited:
Didn't have any snow to do, so I decided to make the sidewall for the other side of my plow project, and also finished it up by bolting a strip of a conveyor belt to the bottom edge of each sidewall to close off the space between the sidewall and the ground, while still working with slightly uneven pavement.

The sidewalls, installed:
IMG_1021.jpg
IMG_1022.jpg
IMG_1023.jpg

The ends w. rubber conveyor belts installed:
IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg

Now what it really needs is to be powder coated, but I'd have to rig up a fairly large oven to put the main section of the plow in, as it looks terrible, with the existing powder coating burned off the front in patches due to the heat from welding, and the back from the powder coating being ground off and the welded on braces with all the splatter from mig welding...

I made it out to the shop yesterday, focused on machining an 8" x 1/2" copper disk for a display I'm making. It machined like taffy! Got it round and faced off, but will need to finish it with sand paper--I don't have the tools or skill to machine pure copper at this point. I was pretty pleased with myself that I was even able to figure out how to mount the disk to my faceplate and get a tool to reach (had to rotate my compound to be 90° to my cross slide to be able to reach--thanks for the suggestions on how to achieve this). Need to center drill it and polish it up and I'll be good to go.IMG_0773.JPGIMG_0774.JPG

Back