POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

If you want to get a fly problem under control try Fly Parasites. My wife and I had a feed lot for about 10 years before returning to Houston, we would have up to 30 bulls on the 5 acre lot and the flys would get atrocious in the summer until we found the site that is linked here. You buy a bag of pupa/eggs from them, I always bought 2, and put them where the problem is, about a week after placing them there wasn't a fly to be found of any type and we never saw the predators, they are very small. No poison nor traps, we also use to buy preying mantis egg sacks from them as well to put around the house to control grass hoppers, crickets and wood roaches, works like a champ. Anytime I can avoid chemicals and poisons I do.
I've used them, but fly parasites don't touch biting flies, in particular, stable flies, which are particularly annoying to the horses. Possible summer sores and other fly born parasites leads to lots of hand spraying horse legs with chemicals ...

My sweeper (leaf and grass) failed last year. I forgot about it, and my neighbor has been dumping his grass on my property, so I have to get rid of it for outdoor volleyball coming shortly. I forgot about it, and spent the day trying to fix multiple issues.
First the wear on the gear , the washer ate into the gear, so it was avoiding the pin to turn the brushes. Made a set of replacements, 1 in brass, 1 in bronze to see how one wears over the other. That helped, but didn't solve the problem. The pin is 90 degrees to the gear, and hammered the inside of the gear at an angle, causing the casting to have a ramp that pushed the pin out of engagement. So I milled some new lands for the pin to catch on, all rough, no fine work.. I made the land at a slight angle so it will catch the pin.. I am sure the land will be hammered fast, but I hope it helps. Had to do both sides as they were both heavily worn the same on both.
PXL_20240522_181314371.jpgPXL_20240522_181322015.jpgPXL_20240522_203632404.jpgPXL_20240522_203635342.jpgPXL_20240522_203645190.jpg

PXL_20240522_203759337.jpgPXL_20240522_203808630.jpg

Good looking machine, did you check the tram on the column and the head nod?

Yeah it has a nod and I had shimmed it a few years ago. That is pretty stable now but the main problem with this machine is that it gets out of tram easily.

This shows the shim under the head.

e695e49a21f540df65240554f5927dd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My sweeper (leaf and grass) failed last year. I forgot about it, and my neighbor has been dumping his grass on my property, so I have to get rid of it for outdoor volleyball coming shortly. I forgot about it, and spent the day trying to fix multiple issues.
First the wear on the gear , the washer ate into the gear, so it was avoiding the pin to turn the brushes. Made a set of replacements, 1 in brass, 1 in bronze to see how one wears over the other. That helped, but didn't solve the problem. The pin is 90 degrees to the gear, and hammered the inside of the gear at an angle, causing the casting to have a ramp that pushed the pin out of engagement. So I milled some new lands for the pin to catch on, all rough, no fine work.. I made the land at a slight angle so it will catch the pin.. I am sure the land will be hammered fast, but I hope it helps. Had to do both sides as they were both heavily worn the same on both.
View attachment 490958View attachment 490959View attachment 490960View attachment 490961View attachment 490962

View attachment 490963View attachment 490964
How did you fix the neighbor problem?

Ron

How did you fix the neighbor problem?

Ron
You don't. My wife is friends with the wife, and always tells me leave it alone. She will side with them all the time. She does not want to alienate them. So he takes advantage of it. So does she for that matter. Common courtesy is something that some think they have but don't. These days it's all about me. If I didn't have my wife keeping me from it, I would just send it all back each time. One year we were on vacation and he cross threaded the brass fitting on his grill regulator, so he came over took mine.. He said he left it on top of the grill, but it was gone. I could go on and on.. I am ****** each time, but she wants me to keep the peace. I am at the point where I realize he's not going to change, and if you return the **** to his yard like the leaves that he blows over, he gets mad.

That’s too bad, people only like being a doormat for so long and then it starts to get old quickly. It’s little solace but taking the high road is still the better thing to do in my book.
exactly. I am of the "do unto others as you would like them to do unto you" type of person. I try to treat everyone with courtesy initially. But if you **** on my once, my opinion changes, **** on me again, and well, it's over.. but the wife is preventing me from teaching him a big lesson. And I really don't want to hear it from her. She'll make my life hell for a long time. It's ok for her to seek revenge on me, but not for me to seek a solution to my situation. Again, I can tell you stories that you would go wtf.

it's possible that your wife knows that anything you do will be taken out on his wife...
no, but she likes to go over at 5 oclock .. and doesn't want me to ruin that. the two of them sit and discuss the things women talk about.. what that is, I have no clue. :surrender: My wife always takes the other side whenever it involves me :(. I'm always wrong in her view , no matter what it is.

Back