Powder Coating Oven

my oven is an old electric stove oven i fastened to a wheeled frame. left a hole in the upper back so the air will sort of circulate drift out. the only problem is the door that opens in the front typically, pulls down and becomes an obstacle making it difficult to load on the hangers that are in the roof. . . i totally re-insulated it and it works fine.

Interesting, do you have a picture?

I use a convection oven , got it from a CL add $40. They did a remodel but the built in oven was basically new. I think the convection helps to evenly heat the parts .

Does anybody know the max / min temp for a typical powder? The one i'am using now have a nominal "cooking temp" of 200 deg Ceclius @ 20 minutes. But still i had successful attempts with a standard oven that varied about +/- 25 deg Celcius.

The new oven regulates the heat around +/- 5 deg Celcius.

I found (the hard way) that using curing temps less than rated might look good, but are softer and not as durable. My oven was off (low) by about 50 deg F. I use mostly Polyester powders and don't know about other types.
However, according to the supplier I use, these under-cured items can usually be re-cured at proper temps & times. The re-curing worked for me even after very light sanding to get rid of scratches in the soft finish.

Use convection to circulate air.

Add covers and chimneys over the heaters so no direct heat.

Shape them as a chimney and natural convection will cause air to circulate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

FYI - In case you ever need them, you can buy nichrome heating elements pretty inexpensively and they're not hard to control with a range infinity switch.

But I like your design. I'll need to build a curing oven someday too. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back