Power feed

Place the motor at 12 o'clock below the table and use a straight bevel gear to turn me 90 degrees then maybe a variable pulley for speed changes....!
Lol. I may be stretching my pay grade a bit.

There has to be a bunch of obsolete drill drivers around. The ones where the battery pack died and new batteries aren't available. They have plenty of torque, are reversible, variable speed, and compact. DC switching power supplies are dirt cheap on eBay.

Interesting...
You think that would have enough torque to move a 9x42 mill table without wearing or burning out? I have a few obsolete drills. Wired and wireless.
Significantly more noisy than my little induction motor.

I had a thought to have it hang off the bottom vertically, but that 90 deg gear change seemed difficult in my mind. And then how to very the speed from there.

A worm drive on the motor and three different diameter worm wheels (but the same thread size/pitch) for speed change?

But I tend to agree with the others here that finding another motor that you can electrically speed control would be a better option and result in a more flexible final solution.

Not three worm gears. Pulleys with a small belt. A step pulley.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was meaning a worm drive would give the 90deg shift to allow you to hang the motor vertically beneith the table. Free hobbing a worm gear that you dont particuarly need a specific number of teeth on is probably just as easy as turning a pulley.

check out youtube mrpragmaticlee. he has a video that shows a variable speed reversible powerfeed. Here's a link.
Hope this helps.
Tom

I was meaning a worm drive would give the 90deg shift to allow you to hang the motor vertically beneith the table. Free hobbing a worm gear that you dont particuarly need a specific number of teeth on is probably just as easy as turning a pulley.
Oh ok. Another worm gear would reduce the speed too much I think. I was considering a bevel gear to turn the gear train cause if I made two equal sized gears the speed wouldn't reduce. Then with the pulleys I can either speed up or slow down whatever I cut the pulleys too.
My fear of using a small DC motor is torque. It's a full size mill table. The crank isn't tough to turn, but I don't want to be under powered.

However... I suppose if this idea is a bit unrealistic, I wonder if a window motor, or a windshield wiper motor would have enough power. Im sure I could find something at the scrap yard. Then I'll be DC albeit, low voltage.

I could use this motor on the column height crank (it's a column mill not a knee... same difference)

Edit : addition - I put a small DC motor with a low voltage speed control and wired it all up in a box for my mini mill before I sold it. It worked but it was on the edge of under powered. So, that's where my concern with power stems from. However, that mill table was hard to crank. It was a fine balance between no play and gibs too tight.

Interesting...
You think that would have enough torque to move a 9x42 mill table without wearing or burning out? I have a few obsolete drills. Wired and wireless.
Significantly more noisy than my little induction motor.
My mill is exceptionally tight and the drill moves the table with no effort in high gear, even at just a crawl. The drill driver is an 18 volt Makita and runs at 400 rpm in low gear. Sorry, it's 11 years old and I can't find the manual so not torque spec. New Makita 18 volt drills are around 12 lb.-ft. of torque. It woouldn't take too big an effort to try one. 400 rpm would be 40 ipm if your lead screw is a 10 tpi pitch. The high range on my Makita drill is 1300 rpm which would be 130 ipm. A respectable rapid.

Wiper motor should do it - have you ever tried stopping the wipers with you hand?! The worm and wheel inside drops the speed to something manageable, and most have at least 2 speeds to choose from (so a changeover push-button can give you slightly-rapids - check the car's wiring diagram!).
A cheap Chinese speed control should cope well with it, most wiper motors are below 15A (and can take higher voltages, so at a push you can get close to 1/2 HP out of 'em - They don't last so well if overpowered though...)

Dave H. (the other one)

Back