Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP- ( and w/2axDRO??? )

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
After two years trying to decide, finally ready to pull the trigger on a metal lathe.

Thread when I was looking at just getting a small one to just learn: Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A - But you all quickly convinced me to save my money and buy something that I could use for most of the stuff I needed to do. Even though, at the time, I just wanted to get my hands dirty starting with something. It was great feedback, and even if I wanted to start playing, it was worth waiting and using the money for something that I could give it better use.

So at the end of that thread, back in Jan 29, 2020, I had decided on a Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO.

Since then I have been watching videos, reading, trying to learn how, what, when to use a lathe... I started watching again the videos from recommended by Aaron_W:

Blondihacks Lathe Skills video series and that has answered a few questions I had.

In that previous thread I started to ask about additional tools/accessories I should get with the new lathe... since that thread was for feedback on a smaller lathe, and since I had decided on a Precision Matthews lathe, decided to start a new thread here.

Here is what I have so far on my list to buy:

The lathe, of course. A Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO - the thing that I keep coming back to is on the DRO option. Is it necessary for a newbie like me? It is an additional US$500.00 and I just want to make sure that it is an added bonus that will get used a lot and worth getting or ??? Or skip it and save the $$$ for more tooling.

Anyway... the list:

• Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP- (w/2axDRO ??)
  • PM-1030V-STAND w/Storage
  • AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set
  • 0-1/2 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT2
  • Slim MT-2 Body Live Center
  • Spare Back Plate, 5" Diameter, for PM-1030V Lathes - feedback I got, so decided to get one (if they become available by the time I order) :
Spare backplate could be handy as it seems like they are not easy to find outside of PM. You may need one if you decide to add a different chuck, like an ER or 5C collet chuck.

I have a couple dial indicators, and in the video from Blondihacks I saw that she had one with a 3D printed base on the lathe ways. I want to make that as well. I do have a cheap 3D printer, but found this video and seems like a great project (to practice using my mill) to make my own base out of aluminum - Making a Lathe Ways Dial Indicator Holder

Apologies for the long post... So the questions/requests that I have:

1. DRO or not? I do not mind spending the additional 500.00. That is not the issue. I do mind wasting that money if there is really no need for it.

2. Anyone has a photo of a Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP with the DRO installed? I can't seem to find any photos of that setup.

3. Besides those I already listed, what additional tools should I get to start with?

Anything that I am missing? And I can't go with a larger one... not financially feasible with all the other stuff that I want for my garage. The next size would put me in the over US$5K range... What I have listed above is right around US$3,658.93

Thank you!

I have a DRO on my machines with the exception of my Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 which I rarely use any more. In my experience, anyone who has added a DRO wouldn't go back to using a machine without one. My lathe has a 3 xis DRO with the third axis being the tailstock.

It looks like your list is fairly complete for a start. There will eventually be other tooling. You will decide on that once you get familiuar with your lathe. I have a Grizzly G0602 which is a 10 x 22 lathe and have had very few instances where it has restricted my ability to fabricate something. IMO it's a good size.

Please take with a grain of salt, but a DRO is a quality of life item. People made precision parts for a long time before a DRO was even possible. It is an aid that will make cutting with precision easier and quicker, but is it necessary? Nope.

Grain of salt disclaimer - I don't even own my lathe yet, and I DID opt for the DRO.

Second grain of salt comment - Have you looked at used local machines that are larger, and have more capability than the 1030V?

Less than $3000

What lathe are you going with?

Second grain of salt comment - Have you looked at used local machines that are larger, and have more capability than the 1030V?

Less than $3000

I do not know enough to know if I am buying something good or paying for someone else problems. And I do not know anyone locally (Orlando, FL) that could help me with that. Reason why I have looked at local used equipment and keep going back to getting a new one. At least I know that with a new one, any screw ups are mine...

I do not see a tool post on that lathe for sale... so looks like it is missing stuff... and that is only what I can tell from the photos. Does not say what model number (only serial) and year. Being new, I am just scared of jumping on a used/unknown to me tool...

I see that @macardoso got one of those that he rebuilt....

You didn't specify what you are planning on making, but I'm currently accumulating tools ahead of my lathe getting here sometime in November.
You said you already have a mill, so I will assume you have calipers (digital or otherwise) but if you don't pick one up.
A good set of drill bits is also something that you should have around. I got a Norseman set based on a bunch of recommendations here and on other forums.
A boring bar could also be useful depending on intended projects.
I'm planniong on doing pens so I picked up the necessary taps and dies and will be getting the tailstock de holder as well. Something to consider as well.

You didn't specify what you are planning on making, but I'm currently accumulating tools ahead of my lathe getting here sometime in November.
You said you already have a mill, so I will assume you have calipers (digital or otherwise) but if you don't pick one up.
A good set of drill bits is also something that you should have around. I got a Norseman set based on a bunch of recommendations here and on other forums.
A boring bar could also be useful depending on intended projects.
I'm planniong on doing pens so I picked up the necessary taps and dies and will be getting the tailstock de holder as well. Something to consider as well.

Might sound crazy, but I do not have any specific use for it. I just want to learn to make stuff. So small stuff for the motorcycle, or cars, or even venture into trying to make small steam engines... Figured that when I retire, anyone wanting to see me, will have to go into the workshop to look for me... :D

I do have a first project for it... buying a 20-ton press and making these improvements:

I have a small mill that I am converting to CNC ( My G0704 CNC conversion thread ) , again, to also learn how to work with a CNC machine...

img_1319-jpeg.372332

There is no logic to my madness...

I will add boring bars and a good set of drill bits to the list. Thank you.

I had a harbor freight press. the large pin under the bottle that does the actual work bent over. actually it was the C channel the pin was welded to that bent and angled the pin over. I could have rebuilt it but I dismantled the frame for steel stock and kept the bottle to use as a jack. found this on Craig's for the same money. US made and fully welded.
unnamed.jpg

I had a harbor freight press. the large pin under the bottle that does the actual work bent over. actually it was the C channel the pin was welded to that bent and angled the pin over. I could have rebuilt it but I dismantled the frame for steel stock and kept the bottle to use as a jack. found this on Craig's for the same money. US made and fully welded.

I was going to also take on this project to improve on that. All stuff that would be great as projects to learn when I get the lathe.

if you do that work, I would replace the soft press formed C channel with one that is extruded steel.

Back