Pressed Steel Toys

I always wanted one of those dump trucks...

Wind up robots and stamped space guns that shoot sparks, that's what we're missing. As kids, we used to see who could take sparks in the eyeball the longest. Yep, good thing Fisher-Price came along to take all the sharp edges and corners off of everything!

Paging Dr. @BGHansen to this thread... Bruce is mired waist deep in re-creating Erector set parts with his punch press, I am sure he could answer specific questions about the process.

Cool video, reminds me of the small components stamping area in the late 1970's-early 1980's at Oldsmobile in Lansing, MI. I'm not familiar with the tonnage calculations for stuff of that size. I Google'd "press tonnage for auto hood" and got a hit for an 1800-ton press. I worked as a coop student at the Oldsmobile stamping plant in Lansing for a term. The presses knocking out fenders, body sides, hoods, etc. were pretty big and made the floor shake.

A 12-ton shop press can shear a 1 3/4" diameter disk from 0.036" stainless with a punch/die with no rake in the punch. When I did this, it was stalling the air-over-hydraulic motor running my hydraulic jack; little pause and a big "bang" when the punch went through. I ground rake into the punch so it pierced the material in a small area and sheared the perimeter of the hole; the press was much happier.

I have a Tennsmith 37" stomp shear and can easily shear a 36" length of 0.036" sheet steel. Again, it starts the cut on the right side and shears progressively to the left. I weigh about 175 lbs., a couple hops is all it takes. I would imagine if it was trying to shear the entire length all at once I'd have to jump from a ladder!

Bruce

We make precious metal sputtering disks 2” OD .250 thick. Stamping on a 18 tonner. This was the first step after casting the blank. After stamping, I would machine to specified thickness of .250, starting was closer to .270. The press was not happy while the .125” OD versions was not a problem. No shear on the die to minimize the distortion. Deep draw is usually multi stage.
Pierre

Back