Project 3: The Boring Head

jmiller

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was trying to come up with an original funny pun/joke to get this post started, but after a few minutes I found the task quite boring... Bazinga.

Anyway lets skip the meat and dive right into the potatos.

20230917_140431.jpg20230917_140421.jpg

I went with 1.5" cold rolled on this one. For real this time, it had a sticker and everything. I didnt want use up my stainless round on my first shot at this. This project is a little more complicated than the fly cutter.

Ive got an 1.5" body with a 2" long stem thingy turned down to 3/4. And I did put a generous fillet on there with a round nose form tool. I have another 1.5" piece for the adjustable head. I didnt turn the body down yet. I want to get the dovetails matched up and then I will put them in my 4 jaw chuck that should be arriving today and clean the whole thing up as a unit.

I have to say Im impressed with the $14 dovetail cutter. I was taking my time with it and it cut very nice.

The male side of the dovetail is finished.
20230918_174613.jpg
I cut the width of the male .002 under on both sides for a little bit of clearence. It has a nice sliding fit with just a bit of play. If I wedge a .006 feeler gauge under one leg, which I can just barely get under there, it snugs up pretty tight. I think this turned out pretty well.
20230918_174322.jpg

Back