Project Newbie

I just reread the original post again and boy did you get that all wrong. Talk about working out of the Box.

#1 Your workmanship is over the top awesome.
#2 It perfect as far as I am concerned, WOW
#3 Don't think there is a lot more for you to learn.

Extremely well done. Kudos to you for this project. Anyone would be proud to own that beauty.

"Billy G"

well that's incredibly nice of you to say. It's been a good learning experience and if I were to do it again i'd absolutely do a few things different but for the most part i'm very proud of them. That said, there's still plenty left to do that I could bugger up, haha. Speaking of, heat treating of the blades will probably happen this week!

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Really great project. I envy our ability with CNC, both programming and executing.
Were it mine to do, I'd forget about the belt clip. I've been carrying a similar (commercial) knife for 15 years, it has a belt clip and I don't use it. I'd like to take it off, but it won't come off. Not without surgery and I'm not about to do that.

I'm a sucker for the pocket clip. However I certainly be making sure it's nice and smooth. I have a few knives that have killed a few pocket edges.

Which reminds me...

still need to do:
- press in ceramic detent
- make thumb pins
- make pocket clip
- add color and finishing touches

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

Beautiful!
Well Done.
-brino

thanks. It's been a blast of a project so far. I'm already kicking around ideas for my next knife.

Img_1921.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

Img_1921.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

Back