Projects? Tool improvements or real projects?

SWAG Off Road has them (granted, not inexpensive):

View attachment 491170

May be available from Amazon
Ah that's for the porta-band style. Mine is one of these:
IMG-20240127-WA0012.jpeg

And here's the table:

20240508_190639.jpg
I don't know if you can see it but the table surface has warped downwards on each side (pulled down by the welding of the two triangular support pieces, I'd guess).

View attachment 491175

And here's the table:

View attachment 491176
I don't know if you can see it but the table surface has warped downwards on each side (pulled down by the welding of the two triangular support pieces, I'd guess).

No, warping isn’t visible, but can envision it; maybe bend some flanges on version 2?

I haven’t seen any commercial tables for that style of benchtop bandsaw, just for PortaBands. There are also stands for PortaBands that allow vertical & horizontal use:

IMG_7305.jpeg

And an advance apology for the Dad Joke: I see, said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer & saw.

No, warping isn’t visible, but can envision it; maybe bend some flanges on version 2?

I haven’t seen any commercial tables for that style of benchtop bandsaw, just for PortaBands. There are also stands for PortaBands that allow vertical & horizontal use:

View attachment 491183

And an advance apology for the Dad Joke: I see, said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer & saw.
Believe it or not, the bloke who welded it does actually do some lovely work.

I saw a pair of large gates made by him, leaning up against the wall of his unit, waiting to be painted and they looked plumb straight and you couldn't see where he'd cleaned up the welds at all.

I guess if I'd needed a pair of £5000 gates I might have been okay. :rolleyes:

Oh well, when my welding jacket arrives, I'll be able to start doing a worse job than he did!:grin:

The running joke in my house is that my shop is a self-perpetuating environment, only existing to make things for itself :D
Soooooo true! Doubt you'd find anything in my shop that was actually made for a purpose other than for the machine itself! Lol. "BUT" I still like doing it as I have no real imagination for creativity! Making piles of useless chips is my forte! I've got "two" welders I bought new couple three or four years ago and never even turned them on! "TOOL JUNKY!" Wifey ask me "what do you need a shop and all these tools for?" I just say peace of mind and a quiet place to hang out! LoL

Wished I knew what the heck this thread was about. I have not made a single thing…I am still looking for all the tools that I need to do so…

Carry on. Great reading!!

It was USA made.
It will outlast me for sure. But it's mine for now and I get a sense of pride every time I use it.
I had the exact saw , now owned by a knife making member on here . That heavy SOB almost flipped the Kubota over while loading . :encourage:

I think the thing that really sets "us" apart from the hired guy is that we care a great deal about what we're doing. I don't need to flip some gun work in four hours to come out ahead - I can spend dozens of hours getting it right and still have what I wanted sooner than hiring it done. I can spend hours planning, then check, re-check, triple-check everything before making a single chip. I've made a few (okay, okay, more than a few...) mistakes over the years, but most of my jobs come out well and most of my mistakes are recoverable. Best of all, I know what was done, so there's nothing hiding around the corner to bite me in the ass.

A fantastic machinist once told me "The difference between an amateur and a master is that a master knows how to cover up his mistakes...". That's not the whole truth, but there's a whole lotta truth in it!

GsT
I've heard the same. And I believe it is true.
Wished I knew what the heck this thread was about. I have not made a single thing…I am still looking for all the tools that I need to do so…

Carry on. Great reading!!
at that rate you will never make anything. You are just a tool collector.

View attachment 491175

And here's the table:

View attachment 491176
Nice and sturdy! I'm going to make similar, patterned after what Quinn of BlondiHacks did, with ~1.5 inch angle bolted to the bottom to mount on the vise.

Welding is a venture too far for me, don't have the space and I have "fond" memories of my dad trying to get a straight bead on simple stuff. Growing up in South Louisiana, family on both sides were carpenters, masons and welders, dad was a banker and wanted to at least try what the cousins did...

Back