Provisions for moving a PM-1054TS

dabear3428

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
what size of door opening do i need to move a 1054T(S or V) into my new shop?
what space should i dedicate to this class of mill?

That depends on the floor more then anything a man door will work if the floor is cement and flat. Photos of area you will be working in will help.

Dimensions are on page 3 of the online manual. If a narrow door you could remove the table, otherwise you may be able get it through a 36" door by moving the table to one side, swing the back of the lathe through the door swing the back toward the side the table is extended and then pull the table back to the other side so it is now extended on the other side of the door frame and then pull the machine back. That being said, these mills are very hard to move even with big wheels and very difficult to get over say a door sill. My knee mill is about 2600 lbs with its base and I can barely get it to roll on a flat surface with 6" wheels.

That depends on the floor more then anything a man door will work if the floor is cement and flat. Photos of area you will be working in will help.
planning stages right now and building out machining section of my shop, concrete floor light broom finish, installing stick frame finish out for A/C and to keep the dust off my equipment. I want as few and as small of doors (they eat equipment space) as possible but i do not want to have to tear out a wall to move a mill in.

Dimensions are on page 3 of the online manual. If a narrow door you could remove the table, otherwise you may be able get it through a 36" door by moving the table to one side, swing the back of the lathe through the door swing the back toward the side the table is extended and then pull the table back to the other side so it is now extended on the other side of the door frame and then pull the machine back. That being said, these mills are very hard to move even with big wheels and very difficult to get over say a door sill. My knee mill is about 2600 lbs with its base and I can barely get it to roll on a flat surface with 6" wheels.
thanks, that is the information i'm looking for, I did go to the PM website, but if i went by that i would need a 60"+ door. any one have ideas about setting up shop to make it easy to move mills/lathes in/out? that is short of a fixed gantry crane. I have a large tractor with FEL that will lift 5000# close to the floor 3100# to 10ft and a (i think) 1 ton gantry crane on rollers.

I'm thinking a pallet jack would be handy

Last edited:
funny thing, i was in lowes the other night and my wife wanted to have me look at swamp coolers, saying wouldn't that keep you from having to put A/C in the shop. all i could see was a huge mass of rust where my equipment use to be.

Attachments

• IMG_5902.jpeg
    IMG_5902.jpeg
    680.6 KB · Views: 22
planning stages right now and building out machining section of my shop, concrete floor light broom finish, installing stick frame finish out for A/C and to keep the dust off my equipment. I want as few and as small of doors (they eat equipment space) as possible but i do not want to have to tear out a wall to move a mill in.

You could build in a removable section of the front wall. After you get your equipment moved in, reinstall the wall.

At that point you could also use equepment to move your machinery at least into the shop. You are still going to need someway of getting the mill off the create.

thanks, that is the information i'm looking for, I did go to the PM website, but if i went by that i would need a 60"+ door. any one have ideas about setting up shop to make it easy to move mills/lathes in/out? that is short of a fixed gantry crane. I have a large tractor with FEL that will lift 5000# close to the floor 3100# to 10ft and a (i think) 1 ton gantry crane on rollers.

I'm thinking a pallet jack would be handy
I have seen a Bridgeport with 42" table moved through a 36" door by that method, you just need to put two wheels under the machine so that it is more or less balanced and easy to swivel around, I made a frame of 1/2 X 6" flat bar bent up to 90 degrees on both sides with perhaps 1" of clearance on each side of the machine base with stub axles and cast iron wheels, one person could handle moving the BP through the doorway on a smooth floor.

Back