QCTP Install Problem

Do you have 10mm extra long carriage bolts over there? If you do get one and grind a foot on it make a spacer on your Lathe to fill in the space under the tool post and threw you QCTP.

Please post back on what you come up with.

Last edited:
If you have taps and dies for 10 and 14mm you could shorten the 10 mm bolt that has the foot on it. Then drill and tap the end of the 14mm bolt for an internal 10mm thread. Might be enough material there.

I would buy a longer 10mm bolt with a head you could grind/file/refashion into a "foot". Then later you could make a sleeve
to slip in between the bolt and the QCTP to take up the space.
No mods to the compound required

In fact, using the old toolpost you could machine the foot on the lathe itself

Last edited:
Very new to machine work and went through this myself.
I was not thrilled with modifying the factory lathe. I do plan on selling it and wont to keep the original format.
So same issue here. AXA mounting stud larger than the lathes
So I made a adapter. Lower one fits in the recess on my lathe and I made a nice snug slip fit into the bottom mounting hole of the tool post. Then I made a Chicago bolt
Out of a over size bolt for mounting
Outer dia I made to be a nice snug fit like the lower adapter and long enough its about 1/8 away from the lower adapter when Tight.

I then Drilled and tapped 10x1.50 into the monuting bolt.
Because of my order of operations I found it easier to drill the threaded hole from the bolt head side.
Pictures will not load at the moment?

Would not load pic in my other post. Im a absolute new to lathe
This was the 3rd thing I machined on my lathe.
Still trying to load pics

Attachments

• 6102DAE0-863F-4073-B4CB-CD2B60E5786F.jpeg
    6102DAE0-863F-4073-B4CB-CD2B60E5786F.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 7F73CA6F-6734-47AD-8EA6-1E6356AB8169.jpeg
    7F73CA6F-6734-47AD-8EA6-1E6356AB8169.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I would just put a sleeve on it, full length similar to what mac1911 did, but to just under the top of the tool post. You might want to make a large flange nut though.

Making a "top hat" like that is a perfectly fine solution- where is the QCTP gonna go? It can't go anywhere
Don't need a full length sleeve

I dont know why having problems with pics.
I did the lower section because of the space on the compound.
Then the nut on top. I did not like the slop over the 10mm stud so I machined the nut and spacer to a good fit. Well for my skill level anyway. I just got the bearing to add to my set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 12
Back