Question about missing gear tooth

Algonquin

Registered
Registered
Hi, I just bought a Logan 200 lathe and after getting it home found that the bull gear is missing a tooth. Logan wants $509.00 for a new one, my question is can the lathe be operated safely as it is?I don't want to damage anything else . I'd hate to scrap it out, but I wouldn't sell it broken without disclosure of the gear problem. Any input will be appreciated , thanks Tom

Hi, I just bought a Logan 200 lathe and after getting it home found that the bull gear is missing a tooth. Logan wants $509.00 for a new one, my question is can the lathe be operated safely as it is?I don't want to damage anything else . I'd hate to scrap it out, but I wouldn't sell it broken without disclosure of the gear problem. Any input will be appreciated , thanks Tom
Please disregard the above post, a friend emailed me a add and I just bought a new gear, problem solved, thanks anyway.

Mine had a single busted tooth for a few years. Never had any issues with it. Finally replaced it when I had the spindle out and found one for cheap.

Check eBay. They often show up for about 1/10 the price of a new one

Cheers,
Phil

Mine had a missing tooth for a while too, so I obtained one on eBay, then replaced it when I had the headstock apart for other maintenance. Never had a problem, but it sure did sound funny. Needless to say, I was careful to keep the loads low on it.

Back