Question on adding rake to single point gear cutters

Range type gear cutters are not particularly expensive, and in smaller pitches can cut to depth and form in ine cut, why waste time with such off the wall methods and end up with an imperfect form?

Range type gear cutters are not particularly expensive, and in smaller pitches can cut to depth and form in ine cut, why waste time with such off the wall methods and end up with an imperfect form?
I don't understand what motivates people to make comments like this on forums dedicated to hobby work. For what it's worth I already answered that in post #4.

I don't understand what motivates people to make comments like this on forums dedicated to hobby work. For what it's worth I already answered that in post #4.
Understand that I am a Journeyman machinist, and don't like to waste time unnecessarily, I've been working at the trade since I was 19 years old and now am 79; I may not have too much time left to waste.

For some the journey is nearly as important as the final product, while others just want or need to get 'er done. Depending on the project I've moved back & forth between both camps and I suspect many others have as well.

Homebrewed, very true, and is also a method to expand one's skills , and not necessarily in 'that" project

I see the point in both posters comments and with having 65 years of those experiences in shops have been there and done that.
Conversely I have seen guys with magnificent shops and tooling produce nothing while others with the crudest of instruments make
remarkable products .
Skills, and Tooling, are not necessarily complimentary to each other !
The hobby is diverse and we do what makes us happy.
Rich

My training through my apprenticeship and beyond, was the "get 'er done." (as quickly as you possibly can), or maybe even faster --- In my own shop downtown, this was pretty much carried on.

Get'er done !
Yes John, Mine to ! ( served my apprenticeship at Ford Aircraft building J 47 jet Engines back in the 50's)
And you know what ? That is a skill in itself
Every shop I was in ( even Ford) had fellow metal cruncher's who didn't even know the time of day .
More than once I had a supervisor comment to me " I wish I could put a firecracker up his xxx " when we had "Hot" jobs
Now that I am older, I can sit back and relish those days
Rich

Get'er done !
Yes John, Mine to ! ( served my apprenticeship at Ford Aircraft building J 47 jet Engines back in the 50's)
And you know what ? That is a skill in itself
Every shop I was in ( even Ford) had fellow metal cruncher's who didn't even know the time of day .
More than once I had a supervisor comment to me " I wish I could put a firecracker up his xxx " when we had "Hot" jobs
Now that I am older, I can sit back and relish those days
Rich
I have to admit that I got into a few situations that made trouble for me, I got called into the superintendent's office sever time for a good talking to --- He was a very reasonable man, he wasn't into yelling or meanness, Just good reasoning, I later discovered that he was a classmate with my father, which did not hurt, I'm sure that I got more slack than other guys would have got. After I left that shop and had started my own business he occasionally came by to visit; when I heard that he had major health problems, I wrote him a letter (this before E Mail) and thanked him for his indulgence on my behalf, this made him quite happy and he again came to visit, not too long after, I attended his funeral; He was a very capable man who came up the ranks from apprenticeship at Standard Oil, came to work as a journeyman at our shop (Kaiser Steel) and served as superintendent until his retirement. RIP Blois E King.

Back