Quote for machine scraping hobby mill.

addman16

Registered
Registered
Hey guys I’m a local Long Island NY, hobbyist who needs to have the ways and gibs scraped on my table, they came from the factory unmated/unscrapped.

The mill I have is the: G0704

I purchased it to do a cnc upgrade and I don’t really have the ability to scrape it myself. I don’t think I have the time or patience to dedicate to scraping.

How much would a job like this cost? Would it end up being more than what the machine is worth?

If so would you be able to kindly point me in the right direction on what you think the best course of action would be.

Would be great if I could find somebody local, started sending out feelers, but don’t mind shipping either since the parts aren’t relatively that heavy.

Right now I have a $2k paper weight and need to have this done.

Need parts 1, 48, 68, 54, 76 scrapped

IMG_0940.png

That is a tall order- you have to figure the amount of hours it would take and to pay someone even a minimum say 25$/hour
at maybe 40 hours would put you at a grand- IF you could find someone. Likely it would take longer or cost more or both.

How badly off is it? Lots of people have converted these- why not just do the conversion and come back later and do some
scraping on it? You'll be taking it apart many times anyhow during the process

I'll bet after you convert it you could find a buyer for it that might just need it for a specific CNC use even if it's not a Haas

Last edited:
Well, considering I have a quote to have a 5' bed of a lathe ground for $1,200 to $1,800, not including anything else, i.e. milling and scraping of the mating parts, etc., I am going to guess that it would be more than the mill is worth to have someone mill/grind/scraped.

However, I am going to play a bit of a devil's advocate here.

A) If it came from Grizzly as incompletely finished, have you contacted them?
B) I suppose one could make the assumption that the table and gib were not originally with this mill and purchased as a replacement?
C) Why do you feel that the mill is unusable? Are you making parts for Space X on it?

I have often come across threads on forums or social media where the author feels his machine is useless because it's not scraped or it has wear in the ways. Quite frankly, in nearly every single case, there was an over expectation on how pristine a machine has to be in order to make usable parts.

Well, considering I have a quote to have a 5' bed of a lathe ground for $1,200 to $1,800, not including anything else, i.e. milling and scraping of the mating parts, etc., I am going to guess that it would be more than the mill is worth to have someone mill/grind/scraped.

B) I suppose one could make the assumption that the table and gib were not originally with this mill and purchased as a replacement?
C) Why do you feel that the mill is unusable? Are you making parts for Space X on it?

I have often come across threads on forums or social media where the author feels his machine is useless because it's not scraped or it has wear in the ways. Quite frankly, in nearly every single case, there was an over expectation on how pristine a machine has to be in order to make usable parts.
That's such a good analysis. But I've used some dial indicators to message squareness of table table and head travel etc and it can't hold 0.001 over 6".

Yeah I called grizzly and they really didn't have anything helpful to say.

I've tried my luck at hand scraping and it's very tiring work. I think I'm going to try the angle grinder rotary tool to do the rough scraping passes and finish up with hand scraper. Looks like I'll have to do it myself

If you are taking the machine to a level beyond factory spec, the only way to make it financially feasible is to do everything yourself
BTW a thousandth over 6" isn't bad at all, relatively speaking
I wouldn't expect much better from mainland China at that price point
A Precision Matthews PM-25 would probably have a bit tighter tolerances or perhaps something like a Rong Fu square column
People pick the 0704 because it's dirt cheap (or was; a few years ago they were just a little over 1100$)

Last edited:

The bed on my Sheldon MW 56P lathe was ground back in 2001. The price at the time was in the $500.00 range. As mentioned I doubt it would be worth doing at todays prices.

I typed up a bunch of stuff, but deleted it.

More than you’re willing to pay.

And not that it would matter, but I do think you need to reread something until it sinks in.

I had A Bridgeport done 8 or 10 years ago. All ways scraped, table planed, new screws and nuts was 4K. It’s going to be expensive no matter how you look at it, even if you do it yourself, if you don’t have the tools, straight edges, levels, etc. definitely look at your use critically. If you need the precision, an upgrade is probably better money spent. Even if you get it straight, stiffness is going to be problematic trying to hold tight tolerances. As a hobby though, learning to tune in the machine, and make good parts is the journey we are all on. If we had millions, just buy a Kern and hire a person to make parts…but where’s the fun in that ? Best of luck whichever way you choose.

Back