Rambling on again . . .

GK1918

Active User
Registered
I just think its a matter of fact as far as anything will always be the good / not so good or bad. Like if you could put them all in a pot and stir
them up real good it would be the perfect machine. So we have a toolmaster which is no toy and has many good qualitys and not so good.
Things you have to live with. I can only think of two not so goods. The first is if it is in reverse, the quill power feed goes up instead of down,
so it will only feed in forward. Gotta live with it. The second being moderate irratation is like say boring, starting and stopping to increase
the boring head or to measure, I can go get a coffee come back and it aint stopped yet. I beleive its a Fairbanks Morse 2hp 220v 3p and
it has a massive flywheel / fan so it spins for ever like a gyroscope. Yesterday a small boring job came in and I got a flash, thinking of
the shaper. The belt engagement handle also has a wedge (rubber) that jams into a pulley (a brake). So I ground a Vee on an old broom
handle as a lever and tetered it into a vacant motor pulley "it works". It stops it in about 4 secs. After work I scrounged around and found
a nice Hurt chrome floor shift handle even with a black ball. I really hate to drill & tap the belt housing but such is life. I scetched a quickie
that will enable this lever to slide up and down to any vacant pulley (spring loaded. I held this lever up and it looks like it belongs there.
My point is for me, Bridgeports have hand quill feel wheel & rev feed I like that. My case hand quill feeding like a drillpress is not only
a bad thing but its difficult. For those who have this mill, this mod. is no way hard to do causes no damage for the brake wedge is rubber.
When completed I will get a pic when done. I suppose there are other mills like this, but its has to be a change belt model.
samuel

I'm interested in the pics Sam! You know I have a tool master but haven't got it going yet so I guess I'll figure all that out . I'm thinking of buying a Bridgeport down the road to have as well .

Josh

Back