Reamers

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a specific question but I think there are a lot of knowledge gaps about reamers. Maybe other questions will get answered here.
Firstly, why does this reamer appear to NOT have a "lead in." It has a square edge like and end mill. How would this center? Is this really a reamer?

1716586185489.png

Secondly, I know spiral flute reamers are good for holes with cuts or keyways. Why are all reamers not spiral flute? Why straight flute?
Thirdly, why do "hand reamers" often have an MT shank? That would appear to mean they are meant for machining.

Last edited:
It is a counterbore, missing the pilot.

I knew something didn’t look right (it’s definitely end-cutting, and the spiral flutes didn’t look like a spiral reamer), but hadn’t had a chance to go look at my tooling. I have piloted counterbores, but use them infrequently.

hand reamers do not have MT tapers. They have square ends like a tap.. Hand reamers have a lead in, chucking do not, they have a very slight chamfer.

Glad Jim chimed in, because it didn't look like a reamer, but I wasn't sure.

It's not a reamer (or a counterbore). It is looks like a Jig Bore Style Reamer. I don't know why they have that name. The characteristics I pay attention to are relatively long reduced diameter straight shanks and otherwise, at a glance, they look like end mills. A quick browser search didn't yield any new sources, only used.
I don't know why they have that name or what special characteristics they have to justify that name. I would use it as an end mill, with appropriate consideration for it's proportions. See reply #21.

For example:

Last edited:
Back