Redneck tire repair and simple oil change

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Don't Laff to hard it has been holding air all night. :grin: It had a piece of wire in it probably hit it with the blade and threw it thru the side of the tire. It was too long to leave in there so I cut the wire off and of course pulled out the wire. Last time I took a lawn mower to the tire shop they said they could not patch them because they are vinyl not rubber and patches and plugs won't stick. Not in the mood to spend money on new tires at this point (Homeowners insurance due June 1 and it has tripled in the last 3 years!):mad: Also did what is supposed to be a simple oil change on the 30 hp Kohler engine. Easiest way for me to get to the drain tube is to pull the starter off so you will see the drain and starter. And yes, I have thought about rerouting the drain but next to impossible to do the way the frame is. Next is the oil filter. Had to use Channel Locks to get the filter off. Sure I have a oil filter wrench the correct size but the filter is so close to the frame you can't get the wrench on it! Some where a Kohler/Dixon Egineer is sitting on the creek bank drinking beer and fishing and laffing their a$$ off because they designed this the week they retired. :drunk:
Also took the blades off and touched them up. They were in much better shape than I expected. They are at least 3 years old maybe 4 and I do a lot of mowing with my mower.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2835.JPG
    IMG_2835.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2836.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2842.JPG
    IMG_2842.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 50
Nice pics! Yup, most machines are NOT designed to be maintenance friendly, especially those in the Harry Homeowner category. Remember
all the proprietary parts on Craftsman stuff? Dang guys tried to MAKE ya take it to 'em.....and they were only the first of many.

Nice pics! Yup, most machines are NOT designed to be maintenance friendly, especially those in the Harry Homeowner category. Remember
all the proprietary parts on Craftsman stuff? Dang guys tried to MAKE ya take it to 'em.....and they were only the first of many.
Manay farmers are now using old, outdated equipment because John deere is forcing them to get all their repairs done at the dealerships which is outrageously expensive. automotive dealerships are doing the same.

My washing machine quit working and it is one of the front-loading LG all electronic models. The control module seems to be the cure all for every problem and it is not cheap. so, for the last 2 years I have been taking my laundry to the laundry mat and paying them to wash dry and fold all my clothes. I could have bought a couple of machines at the approximate $125 a month I pay to have my laundry done but I refuse to be held hostage by the manufacturers of this junk on the market now days. Plus, I like the service of them folding them for me.

I love the old tractors ! The shop near me charges $125 an hour . I charge $10 . :grin:

The older John Deere tractors are more reliable. Bought a new orchard tractor from them and it’s down more than anything else on the farm.

I did that to my mower, too. I have two Black Olive (not real olive) trees in my yard. On characteristic of the BO tree is that it produces thorns (1"+ length). I try to pick up all the fallen branches before I mow, but sometimes you miss one. I had a NEW tire that ran over one such thorn and got punctured. I dismounted it and applied an internal patch. Didn't fix it. I dismounted it again and used one of those tire patching ropes to repair it. Didn't fix it again. I refused to dismount again, so I screwed a small screw into the hole. That fixed the leak. After 5 years, the screw is still holding.

Redneck or not, if it ain't no longer broke, don't fix it!

You might find there is another 1 or 2 oil drain plugs on the engine. If they were nice they cut a hole in the engine mounting plate. I rerouted my drain plug with a short used hydraulic hose, much neater that what was there.

I did that to my mower, too. I have two Black Olive (not real olive) trees in my yard. On characteristic of the BO tree is that it produces thorns (1"+ length). I try to pick up all the fallen branches before I mow, but sometimes you miss one. I had a NEW tire that ran over one such thorn and got punctured. I dismounted it and applied an internal patch. Didn't fix it. I dismounted it again and used one of those tire patching ropes to repair it. Didn't fix it again. I refused to dismount again, so I screwed a small screw into the hole. That fixed the leak. After 5 years, the screw is still holding.

Redneck or not, if it ain't no longer broke, don't fix it!
We live in a disposable world now days. I bought new tires for my little 92 Ranger pickup ($600) and shortly after one of them developed a slow leak. I took it to the tire shop, and they refused to fix it because it had a nail and they said it was too close to the edge to repair. I drove it that way for a couple of years and finally just bought a tube and put it in the tire and no slower leak. We have been legislated into forced purchased. Same way with self-repair of our own equipment.

Please don't turn this into a political discussion it is just a fact of life now.

You might find there is another 1 or 2 oil drain plugs on the engine. If they were nice they cut a hole in the engine mounting plate. I rerouted my drain plug with a short used hydraulic hose, much neater that what was there.
Can't do that to mine without using a torch and don't want a torch that close to the engine or fuel tanks. I change it once a year and time is better spent working on other things since I am running out of usable time at age 72.

The older John Deere tractors are more reliable. Bought a new orchard tractor from them and it’s down more than anything else on the farm.
It's a damn shame!

Back