Removal of Banjo assembly and Screw Gear South Bend 9a?

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
Trying to remove the banjo assembly and screw gear off South Bend 9a.

How do you keep the screw gear from turning while trying to remove the bolt that holds it on?

Wrap something around the gear- an old leather belt maybe. Hold it with vise grips or a clamp
Or fold a piece of cardboard over the gear and pinch it with vise grips

If the gear train ia all engaged, just put the back gears into engagement, locking the spindle and the nut on the screw gear can be broken loose and removed and the screw gear pulled off, the banjo swivel binder loosened, and the banjo assembly removed.

As long as it's not "frozen", just set it on the fastest feed settings, engage the half nuts, and lock the carriage. That's all I've ever needed. Don' go yarning on it that way, but it shouldn't be "that" tight.

When you put the nuts back on, all they need is just a little "snug". Just having the gear train engaged is more than enough, no need to engage anything but the spindle. You don't even need the belt tight on the spindle. Just bring the nut up till it touches, then a light bump to snug it up.

Thanks. I will go try. I don't think I will try Jake's method, except as a last resort. Sounds "Sceery" to me.

Got it off using a combination of mark and benmychree suggestions. Also used some liquid wrench. Jake, I would think your method would have worked, but I was "sceered" to try it. Thanks all.

Got the lead screw removed and pulled the gear box off and removed the tumblers tumblers off to try to repair one that is broken. I don't really want to tear down the whole gear box, so I was wondering if it would be okay to clean the gears with brake cleaner. I used it on the broken tumbler and its gears, and it seemed to work well. As to the gears in the gear box, would the brake cleaner cause any harm to the felt wicks or anything else?

I doubt the brake clean will hurt anything but it may be hard to get all the crap out with it assembled. I did a first pass at cleanup with the box assembled and it just washed some of the crap in even deeper and ended up locking up the gears. My gear box was exceptionally dirty with chips and sawdust. Once it was all apart there were some bushings and felt that needed to be replaced.

I did get it cleaned up using the brake cleaner very sparingly with a wire brush without complete tear down of the gear box. Noteworthy is that the the
gears in the gear box were cleanish to begin with; except, the tumbler gears. The tumbler gears needed more brake cleaner and wire brushing. They look fine now. Repaired the broken tumbler lever, and now ready for re-assembly and mounting.

Back