[How do I?] Remove green tree stumps

For stumps of your size (3-8"), I've had good success by digging around the edge to expose the roots, then use a reciprocating saw with a pruning blade to sever most of the roots. Finally the stump should be loose enough to lean it over and cut the tap root.
(Reciprocating saw blades survive the dirt much better than chain saw blades, are quicker to change, and cost less.

You said, " pretty rough on a truck." Here's a story on that... My dad and I were struggling to pull a small dogwood tree, maybe 4" diameter. Our friendly Exxon service station operator drove by with his tow truck and offered to help. Once hooked up, he started forward but got no where. So he set his brakes and started up the winch. All this did was pull the wrecker back towards the puny dogwood. Sorry, I don't remember how it resolved, that was about 65 years ago.

I had some dead oak trees to remove at my prior house. Big guys. I dug around the trees and cut the roots close to ground level with a sawsall. Filled the hole with water several times over the course of a month. Got up one morning and the tree and it roots were laying on the ground. Didn't have to cut it down or dig out the stump. Gravity did the work for me.

Those aren’t very big, a shovel and chainsaw would make quick work of them. Dig down 2-3 inches all the way around, about a 3’ Diameter circle. Big enough to fit the power head of the saw in and the arc the bar will make. Use an old chain and cut. It will dull the chain for sure, but that small a stump will only take a couple of seconds for the actual cutting. Clean out bar groove and power head with air compressor after. Hopefully you have a solid nose bar available, if not the sprocket tip will need a good cleaning afterwards. Pull clutch drum clean and lube bearing afterwards. Have a file with you in case you need to touch up the chain after a couple of stumps. The most time consuming part is digging 3” down to get the power head low enough to cut them below grade.

The best/easiest way is not to cut them in the first place. Used to take down large trees with a small D-4 sized machine. Used one tooth in the ripper to cut the roots, and then just push them over with the loader. The whole root ball comes out with the tree. Same can be done with a small track hoe or decent sized rubber tired machine. Mike

Looks like everyone covered the mechanical side, tordon is your friend if you don't go that route. And for what its worth if you have more to do, Remedy mixed with diesel and sprayed on the bark , you can push or pull the whole thing next year with a minimum effort, without cutting.

Last edited:
1:12 ratio.
I.E., 1" dia. stump=12" dia. hole.
1 friend, and 12 beers.
Multiple and or bigger stumps,
More friends, more beers.
Really only need one spade, one shovel, one axe.
Any more tools swingin' than that can be a bit risky, first one to fall over(this is the time to stop work) buys the beer for the next shift.

Make a few calls for quotes on someone coming out and doing the stump removal for you.

At least you would know the cost to balance with your time, maybe renting equipment.

Probably should have pushed or pulled them over before they were only 2 feet high. Al.

Carbide blade with a sawsall you can cut them flush or just below ground level.

Back