Removing a Dowel Pin

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to remove two 1/4" dowel pins from A36 steel. I did not place these so I am not exactly sure of the interference. Assuming they are a standard interference fit, what is the best way to remove these? It is a small piece so it could go in the mill.

I could drill and tap the dowel pin for 10-32 and use a spacer and washer to apply traction.
I could TIG weld a section of 1/4" screw to the end of the pin and use similar technique
I could lock vise grips to the pin and use a BFH

Please advise. I have never attempted this before.

I need to remove two 1/4" dowel pins from A36 steel. I did not place these so I am not exactly sure of the interference. Assuming they are a standard interference fit, what is the best way to remove these? It is a small piece so it could go in the mill.

I could drill and tap the dowel pin for 10-32 and use a spacer and washer to apply traction.
I could TIG weld a section of 1/4" screw to the end of the pin and use similar technique
I could lock vise grips to the pin and use a BFH

Please advise. I have never attempted this before.
Do you have an arbor press? If a through hole you could use an undersized pin and press it out.

If blind, you could weld a piece of all thread to the dowel, then use a bushing, a thick washer and nut. Tightening the nut against the bushing should jack out the pin. A BFH may wallow out the hole, if that matters to you. Dowels can be hard on the outside, so drilling may be difficult. Or if the jacking method doesn't work, a hole from the back side and using a pin of some sort to push it out?

First I would try vice grips to twist and pull them out. Then do the more extreme methods listed above. I works for me almost half the time.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I should have mentioned it is not a through hole. It is a blind hole.
Great thoughts above. I will try vice grips first. Failing that I will weld some all thread to it.
Why would an easy out work on a non-threaded pin? How would you apply traction to that tool?

Vise grips attached to a slide hammer.

The above would work as long as you can get a good grip on the pin. Sometimes if the surface is hard, and the grip is hard to achieve.

I should have mentioned it is not a through hole. It is a blind hole.
Great thoughts above. I will try vice grips first. Failing that I will weld some all thread to it.
Why would an easy out work on a non-threaded pin? How would you apply traction to that tool?
When I worked for Caterpillar I used vise grips to pull the dowel pins out of the engine block. If they are stuck pretty good, Apply some Kroil, Wait a bit, Then protect the workpiece and place a pry bar under the face of the vise-grips and pry them out.

if it's a hardened dowel pin, you will need carbide drills and carbide taps.. if just a mild steel dowel, or taper pin no problem.
getting a grip on a hardened pin might be a problem. If you can rough it up using cutoff discs , put some scores in it to be able to get some purchase on them.

Back