Repairing A Gear

autonoz

Active User
Registered
The gear in the top of the picture is what the damaged one is. My plan is to order a gear close to the small one and machine it to size. Then I will press it in the good big gear and weld the face to keep it from turning seperate. The old one was pinned, but my way should work should'agear.jpg nt it?

My question is why was it pined? Was it to keep something else from being torn up or what ?There is generaly a reason. If you weld the gears together you have to watch the heat and the runover so as to not goof up your gear.

The welding would probably work. How much torque does it really need to transmit? It appears that the pins worked well enough to overload the gear teeth?

I had a similar problem, where I needed a shaft with integral pinion gear (small gear) - for the apron longitudinal travel. The issue was the gear was fine, but the bearing area of the shaft was quite worn. I made a new shaft and bored the gear off the old shaft, then I shrunk fit the gear onto the shaft and put a set screw into the joint (trimmed the set screw off so it is all flush and pretty). The carriage has been working great for over a year.

DSCF3335.JPG DSCF3345.JPG DSCF3348.JPG

That looks a lot like a Logan QCGB gear. Mr Pete222 (a YouTube regular) dealt with a nearly identical issue here:
Even if yours isn't a Logan I think his process might be of interest to you - the process starts at around 1:50 or so.

John

Mine is a logan and that is exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the video.

I followed Mr Pete's directions and have repaired my gear. I purchased a spur gear and machined it to fit the right size bushings. Pressed it all together and pinned the gears. All works great. Not sure why Mr Pete said it would be worth it to buy the gear from Logan for 199.00. He said it was to much work. Only took me, a amateur, three hours to repair the gear, and only cost 22.00. Now grant it, I am sure his time is worth way more than mine.

agear.jpg agear2.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work and I'm with you on the time. Besides, that's why we buy tools - to use them. Well done!

John

I followed Mr Pete's directions and have repaired my gear. I purchased a spur gear and machined it to fit the right size bushings. Pressed it all together and pinned the gears. All works great. Not sure why Mr Pete said it would be worth it to buy the gear from Logan for 199.00. He said it was to much work. Only took me, a amateur, three hours to repair the gear, and only cost 22.00. Now grant it, I am sure his time is worth way more than mine.

View attachment 129135 View attachment 129136
Good job it looks good

Back