Repairing a tailstock taper

missinglink

Registered
Registered
I am new to this site and look forward to some good advice. I have a big old Willison lathe with a #3 taper in the tailstock. Problem is it has seen some abuse in its life and the taper is pretty ugly. What is the best way to clean up the taper and re gain some holding power?:thinking:

You can buy Morse taper reamers, but if the damage has sharp raised dings where the metal is piled up in small areas, best to scrape them away first or they will throw the reamer off centre. Clean it up as best you can and when you are happy finish off with the reamer. You could use any No3 taper and some lapping paste or blue to show up the high spots.
Phil

My tail stock is also messed up and it is not cleaning up very good with a finish reamer. I am thinking of trying to use my taper attachment to clean it up then finish with reamer. Any machinists have an opinion on trying this.????

are you saying that using the roughing reamer first might do the trick???

Ok, so taper reamer it is. That was my first choice but trying to save a buck. Cant see much use for the reamer after this. Oh well have to design projects around the reamer. Anyone close to me happen to have one?

Has anyone succesfully used roughing and or fnishing MT3 taper reamers ?
Any comments please..

Yes they work very well. I have used one to fix a MT2 in a Atlas Lathe and had no problems. I am no expert but I go by the guidelines as I have learned using gun chamber reamers. Generally a finish reamer will do anything a roughing reamer will do just slower and I don’t own any roughing chamber reamers for this reason. Never reverse the direction of the reamer in the bore as this will dull it. Most important is using plenty of oil and keeping the reamer clean of chips. Chips and swarf will ruin the chamber quick. The one time I did do the tailstock it took very little cutting to restore the correct taper. Maybe you could get one and resell it on FleBay to recoup most of your money.

It looks like nobody has any experience using a roughing reamer. I have not had success with the finish reamer in my tail stock. so i have a choice. either spend another $45 on roughing reamer and hope it will clean up the taper or spend nothing and setup my taper attachment and clean up the tail stock then finish with the finish reamer.

Back